Salvini tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
So right now I'm battling a disease of an unknown kind in my angelfish tank. After I cure it or treat it then I don't think I will go back to angels. I will do a mayor cleaning of the tank first. Then I wanted to go back to "larger" cichlids. Salvinis? If I do go the salvini route then I have a few questions. How many for a 75? Can the tank be planted? How do you sex them? How do u breed them? What tank mates are good? (Thinking of dithers and other cichlids) is there any thing else I should be worried about before taking on this fish? And any other helpful hints and tricks are always welcome.
If you have or previously had a salvini I would love to see pics of him or her!

So right now I'm battling a disease of an unknown kind in my angelfish tank. After I cure it or treat it then I don't think I will go back to angels. I will do a mayor cleaning of the tank first. Then I wanted to go back to "larger" cichlids. Salvinis? If I do go the salvini route then I have a few questions. How many for a 75? Can the tank be planted? How do you sex them? How do u breed them? What tank mates are good? (Thinking of dithers and other cichlids) is there any thing else I should be worried about before taking on this fish? And any other helpful hints and tricks are always welcome.
If you have or previously had a salvini I would love to see pics of him or her!

U could do a pair in a 75, but if u do that I wouldnt put anything else in there. Otherwise my female Salvini was the toughest cichlid I've ever owned, would try picking fights with everyone in my tank... Jag, Midas, and Festae. A Salvini would be able to hold its own with any other cichlid that you're able to keep comfortably in a 75: convicts, Jack Dempseys, Green Terrors, etc... here's my female that I sold, which I regret. Females are more colorful and have the black spot on the gill cover.

ForumRunner_20140103_195656.jpg

U could do a pair in a 75, but if u do that I wouldnt put anything else in there. Otherwise my female Salvini was the toughest cichlid I've ever owned, would try picking fights with everyone in my tank... Jag, Midas, and Festae. A Salvini would be able to hold its own with any other cichlid that you're able to keep comfortably in a 75: convicts, Jack Dempseys, Green Terrors, etc... here's my female that I sold, which I regret. Females are more colorful and have the black spot on the gill cover.

View attachment 214981

So could I start with 5-6 and wait for a pair to form and then sell the others?

So could I start with 5-6 and wait for a pair to form and then sell the others?

Definitely, that would probably be the best way to do it... I would also get yourself a divider if u don't have 1 already. Cichlids can get aggressive towards each other when dealing with babies or if the male is wanting to breed and the female isn't ready.

Definitely, that would probably be the best way to do it... I would also get yourself a divider if u don't have 1 already. Cichlids can get aggressive towards each other when dealing with babies or if the male is wanting to breed and the female isn't ready.

I have a few. Is there any way that before the salvini a mature I could have dithers with them?

I have a few. Is there any way that before the salvini a mature I could have dithers with them?

You could try some times it works some times it don't. I had a 4" salvini for a short time and after the lights went out he would try to sink his teeth into anything that moved in the tank.

U could try something like giant danios or tiger barbs... if u do, I'd get a school of 8-12 of whatever u choose and don't get them too small to start. The bigger the better, that way they'll be able to take a beating and last longer.

Would silver dollars work? Or tin foil barbs? And how many?

If u had plans to get a bigger tank in the near future, yeah... otherwise both of them get too big to be kept permanently in a 4 ft long tank.

Just some food for thought but salvini are really really nasty. Pretty but mean. I am thinking about getting rid of mine. Nastiest fish I have ever owned. I have it in with a jag, JD and Firemouths. Jag and and JD are 3x the size of the Salvini. FM are 4x the size and the salvini takes after everyone especially nasty toward that Jag.

What if I put a pair of convicts with them? For live food when the cons breed?or should I breed the cons in another tank and feed the sals with a turkey baster?

Good choice of fish, Salvinis are great. When they do finaly breed I don't suggest having anything else in the tank. They can get extremely aggressive while breeding. Small fish that can pack a big punch.

Sorry for all of the questions but I read on a few different sites that salvinis can live in a planted tank. Is this true? Brcause I know most other aggressive cichlids can't be in a tank with plants because they will rip them up. Just wondering because then if have to get rid of a lot of my plants. I have the 75 semi full of swards, crypts, and Anubis

My salvini I had wouldn't have got along with plants. She liked to dig up fake ones and make them float. I eventually went with all driftwood in my tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom