Sand and Anerobic bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
To start off I was gone on vacation for 17 days and just returned. I gave my tanks a good cleaning before I left and again today. The received a little food every other day and some extra prime and water top offs after 14 days.

When cleaning my 28 gallon bowfront tank with the SuperNaturals white sand I noticed black spots. I raked the sand pretty well but there are some black streaks. I didn't go crazy because IF it was anaerobic bacteria I didn't want to release too much stuff from the sand.

My questions are:
Is this a problem?
Is it dangerous to the fish?
and how can I best fix it w/out doing more damage?

I do have a hard time cleaning the poop out of the tank for some reason it seems to not come off the sand. I have tried vacuuming the sand and just stirring the poop off the top so that I can get it out of the water. I must be doing something wrong.

one of the reasons i paint my tank bottoms. Gravel,sand and other just grabs to much muck. I would stir it up well syphon all you can off the top when settled and do a big water change any gases would be removed mostly with the WC.

Thanks! I did stir it up well during a BIG water change and I will do it again this week.

I think I am switching to blasting sand instead of the SuperNaturals. That stuff packs kind of tight in there.

Back
Top Bottom