Sand capping soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rumpolphoreskin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,
I've been lurking for a while, now I have to seek advice.

I've heard contrary messages about whether or not you can cap soil with PFS (Pool filter sand).

Some where I heard that the weight of sand will compress the soil making it hard for roots to spread.

Conversely I've heard many people talk about capping soil with PFS like it was no big deal.

Another idea I thought was great (if it's safe for your fish) is using black sand blasting sand as a soil capper - any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

I use PFS as a cap but you can really use whatever you like. I am using miracle grow organics soil and if you don't cap it, it will all float to the top.

I have been useing the same thing organic potting soil and play sand and I love the results with diy co2 works great!

Attachments

• 1391643773517.jpg
    1391643773517.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 88
Fish-R
Your set up is my plan.

Jake
I've heard PFS needs a lot less cleaning than play sand.
Regardless, you have a great looking tank.

The feedback is appreciated!

I used PFS over play sand because its a thicker grain and allows less MGOPM to escape when I do my rescapes

I have always used playsand as I like the look better then PFS. Then I switched to a multi purpose sand from Sakcete. With both I have had my haborars corydoras on them and actually had them breed with the multi purpose sand which is probably a lil coarser then the play sand. I have also known a few ppl who had play sand and never had a problem with their corys.

I use PFS as a cap but you can really use whatever you like. I am using miracle grow organics soil and if you don't cap it, it will all float to the top.

+1 I use PFS as a cap to my soil as well in my 10g tank

Fish-R
Your set up is my plan.

Jake
I've heard PFS needs a lot less cleaning than play sand.
Regardless, you have a great looking tank.

The feedback is appreciated!

When I tried out play sand I noticed that I lost a bit of volume when I washed the sand. It also took FOREVER. The PFS was WAY easier to deal with.

I have always used playsand as I like the look better then PFS. Then I switched to a multi purpose sand from Sakcete. With both I have had my haborars corydoras on them and actually had them breed with the multi purpose sand which is probably a lil coarser then the play sand. I have also known a few ppl who had play sand and never had a problem with their corys.

Dirty substrate rather than coarse substrate is what damages the corys barbels. They generally do perfectly fine in gravel as long as it's very clean. They will be happier in a soft sand though.

Have always heard it was coarse that damaged them. Tho have heard they don't like dirty substrate. How does dirty substrate damage the barbels?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have always heard it was coarse that damaged them. Tho have heard they don't like dirty substrate. How does dirty substrate damage the barbels?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure on the exact mechanism of how this works but I am assuming that their sensitive barbels get infected easily which erodes them. Dirtier substrate means a higher chance of infection. I've personally seen this happen with my cory cats and cleaning up the tank cleared the problem right up and allowed the barbels to regrow. I've also kept corys in flourite which is quite coarse and sharp with no damage to them.

Although this is very common. This was not the case for me. My Flora max got a gravel vac, half at a time every weekly WC. Also, I was keen to think this was what was causing the erosion so I put in extra effort to keep it clean. No difference. When I took it out after a year in during my rescsape the substrate was not anaerobic even down deep. I looked at the granules of the Flora Max magnified and the edges are jagged. Probably the edges irritates the barbels enough that whatever infection it is can take affect easier. I won't say it was impossible that my tank substrate was dirty enough to cause the barbell loss but cleaning with conventional methods wasn't giving a remedy. Time will tell on the Eco Fine. OS.

Back
Top Bottom