Sand Collecting on Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just planted a Crypt in my tank yesterday and sand keeps settling on the leaves. I have a pretty strong filter for my tank size so thats probably why, but will that be a problem for the plant?
Also, does it look like I planted it okay? Its my first time.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391894068.499623.jpg

It looks good.. with sand, it can look like you planted it ages ago. Did you place a root tab under that crypt?

For the sand, you can buy a turkey baster (and dedicate it for aquarium use). It comes in handy for knocking that sand off the leaves. It's like an aquatic leaf blower.

I did not get a root tab because they were $30 at my lfs. I got a bottle of flourish excel instead. Will that be okay?

I did not get a root tab because they were $30 at my lfs. I got a bottle of flourish excel instead. Will that be okay?

You can buy root tabs from eBay. They're pretty cheap. Osmocote works well.

Just be careful with Osmocote root tabs. They're DIY built from slow release fertilizer granules made for terrestrial plants. If you put too many or don't bury them deep enough (at least 3+ inches), you'll have an ammonia spike, which can kill your livestock.

Root tabs from Peabody's Paradise (RU tabs) or Flourish Tabs would be safer for beginners.

Back
Top Bottom