Sand fall and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruutah

Aquarium Advice Activist
As it says. Is a sandfall in a shrimp tank a bad idea? I think I'm ready to start 'scaping my new 10g tank, I'm just back and forth on whether a sand fall is a bad idea for a tank with shrimp. I plan on putting mesh in front of the pickup to HOPEFULLY avoid sucking up any shrimp/shrimplettes. Just concerned sand in the water might be a hazard to the shrimp.

Anyone with experience?

Thanks in advance!

I've never done this but can't recall any problems from similar threads and considering some of the rivers I've seen them in. I like the mesh idea and look forward to any build pictures :)

I don't have experience with sand falls (seen them in setups/videos) but shrimplets are very small. If they can fit through the mesh then they MAY end up in there. A fine mesh might be shrimp safe, however, it might not work well with the sand grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't have experience with sand falls (seen them in setups/videos) but shrimplets are very small. If they can fit through the mesh then they MAY end up in there. A fine mesh might be shrimp safe, however, it might not work well with the sand grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Heck, it's an airstone pulling air and water up... They may think it's fun for all we know. :fish2:

I'll give a shot at some point. BUT... My wife came home from her road trip a few days early to take me out for fathers day. (I think she just got tired of visiting with her mom :angel:) So we took a ride to one of the towns nearby, and after a trip to lowes to get my pvc for the sandfall, and dirt for the dirted substrate. We go to those petsmarco places as we've got 7 rescue dogs, and you know I had to walk through the fish area while we were there...

They had otocinclus cats.. We've been looking for them locally since we started keeping an aquarium again as it's the one fish my wife has said she really wants. We had yet to find them till Sat night. So I tell them to bag up all 6 of them, and my wife points to a guppy that's all alone in a shrimp tank, so of coarse we had to take him to. And you know he needs a buddy! and oh look this is on sale and....

ugh Long and short of it. We brought home 8 more fish. A new bag of black Carib sea sand and I now had to spend my "fathers day evening" setting up a new tank. 22 gallons of distilled water later, my ph is close to where the fish places PH was. (tested myself) and we're floating. 2 hours later, I get up to check everything, and go ahead and let them out of the bag.

(now I know someone is going to flame me for putting otto's in a new tank. but so we're clear.... I stripped most of my plants from my other two tanks, plus the plants I've had waiting for the new 10gal tank, and this is in a dirted tank, with a sand cap. PLENTY of biofilm, and algae for them to munch,on those plants)

only lasted 48 hours anyway. Ammonia seems to be out of control in the new tank. Lost two ottos, and thought we were going to lose a third, but... My 5 gal that's been running for almost 4 months now with my Cories in it, was exactly the same temp this morning, and after a double check to make sure I wasn't seeing things, the PH was within .2 of each other, so while I wanted to quarantine them in the new tank alone, I added them to the 5 gal. within 20 min, the one I thought we were going to lose, was up and stuck to the back wall of the tank (covered in algae btw) and they've been pretty voracious eating machines since adding them in there. And within a few minutes of adding them, the cories were back to chasing each other.

Ammonia check after 6 hours of them being there has raised from 0 to .25. Which I figured was probably normal considering I took the amazon sword out of the tank, and only left java moss and hairgrass (not the dwarf stuff, but full on growing out of the back of the tank variety) for plants in it when I Set up the new tank. It makes sense to me that the plants have to get used to the extra food.

Back
Top Bottom