Sand Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khrisNkyersten

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im going to be setting up my 29g semi aggressive planted tank soon... the question that I have is, since im using sand in my tank, could I just get sand from my local beach here in Maryland? (its a beach on the bay side not the ocean side) and use that in my tank? or is that not a good idea? O_O

:thanks:

You could just go to Wal-Mart or anywhere that sells play sand. A lot of people use it. Just make sure you wash it real good.

I agree, I would just buy some cheap sand. You can even get pool filter sand. Play sand may be cheaper tho.

Sooo does that mean I shouldn't use sand from my local beach... If I am going to buy sand I'll just get it from the pet store. I was just thinking it would be really cool to use local sand but I wasn't sure if that was safe? Any ideas on the safety of using local beach sand?

Sooo does that mean I shouldn't use sand from my local beach... If I am going to buy sand I'll just get it from the pet store. I was just thinking it would be really cool to use local sand but I wasn't sure if that was safe? Any ideas on the safety of using local beach sand?
Do not use beach sand. There could be any kind of contaminants in there and for a few dollars, save your self work and future problems.

Awesome! Thanks for the help! I'm going to go to Petco and get some sand then. About how much would I need for a 29g?

I bought 50 pound bag of play sand at Lowe's for 5 dollars, filled 55 g with 2 inches of sand and still have half a bag left. Now 6 months later, I could have had less sand..maybe 1.5 inches worth. More sand, less water in tank.

Pool filter sand settles down to the bottom faster than play sand so you might like it more...

I just put all purpose silica sand (blasting sand) in my tank last night and it was settles before the tank was even filled. Looks great too :)

Sand is very fine and can be kicked up in the water column which can get in your filters. This can, not always, damage the impeller. Sand also compacts very tight and can choke off nutrients getting to the roots. Gravel, which has many sizes, allows nutrients to pass through and around the roots. It can be difficult to plant with due to the size of stones not holding plant down. I recommend substrate of different sizes to allow water to pass through yet will hold plants down. It's such a game.

U don't necessarily need different sizes just something that will be good to hold plants down and still allow water to pass through. I recommend planting substrate.

mohican said:
Sand is very fine and can be kicked up in the water column which can get in your filters. This can, not always, damage the impeller. Sand also compacts very tight and can choke off nutrients getting to the roots. Gravel, which has many sizes, allows nutrients to pass through and around the roots. It can be difficult to plant with due to the size of stones not holding plant down. I recommend substrate of different sizes to allow water to pass through yet will hold plants down. It's such a game.

My fish make sandstorms everday, maybe its just the sand I used but it settles before it gets even close to the intake.

I use pool filter sand it seems to be bigger grained than play sand, I get it at a pool supply company for $6.99 per 50 lb bag. I have never had a problem with it even making the water cloudy, just a thought.

Crittercaller said:
I use pool filter sand it seems to be bigger grained than play sand, I get it at a pool supply company for $6.99 per 50 lb bag. I have never had a problem with it even making the water cloudy, just a thought.

Same here. Even when I mess around in it, the cloudiness dissipates very quick. Plus it looks great. Had I used it in my first tank, it would be in every tank

Usually if it says plant substrate it has built in ferts to maintain and optimize plant growth

I love sand. I use a foam prefilter over my intake to protect my shrimp and it also keeps sand out.

My plants grow great. I never have issues with cloudy water.

Gravel I find harder to plant in and my Cories and Shrimp prefer sand.

Plant substrates do NOT always have any ferts. What they may have is a high CEC. (Cation Exchange Capacity) Google it ! Some may have Iron or other nutrients, but they eventually run out. I just add Osmocote Plus capsules to my sand to take care of my root feeders ( Crypts and Swords for example ).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom