Sand substrate help!! :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomxiong

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone I am currently on the process of setting up my 55gal freshwater aquarium and have "Caribsea Inc Instant Aquarium" sand as my substrate but the water is overwhelming cloudy due to the sand. I filled the tank with water and had it set for 2-3 days but still no change even after i added conditioners to clear cloudy water. So i emptied out the water from the tank and would LOVE to hear from those that have any advice on how to get my water crystal clear with a SAND SUBSTRATE! THANKS!!

Rinse the sand. If it's already in the tank then do several big water changes to get all the particulate out of the water column. You can also run extra filter floss to catch some of it and clean it as needed.

I had the same problem and that's after rinsing it lots before putting it in the tank. I got stuff called filter aid which helps small particles clump together to make it easier for the filter to get them. Other than that I did several water changes and remember to clean your filter too. The top poly pad layer has been changed every 2 or so days because now my driftwood is leaking tannins and water looks awful, but changing poly pad keeps it looking good.

Rinsing the sand before putting it in the tank is key. It can be done with a old pillow sack and your bath tub.

I also put a dinner plate on the bottom on top of the sand and when filling the tank pour the water onto the plate. This helps to ensure that the sand doesn't get messed up from the water movement that gets created when pouring.

Fill the tank about 1/3 or 1/2 then start putting your decorations in (plants etc). Then slowly fill the tank up. At a certain point you will be able to pour the water in slow enough to not need the plate anymore. Once your have decorations in you can also pour the water onto a chunk of driftwood or something that will take the water movement.

Thank you guys so much! I followed the advice and it works! crystal clear water! but i have a concern following the filter. i have a regular top fin 60 gallon aquarium filter, do i have to have a special filter for the sand ? because every time i turn the filter on, it makes the sand go everywhere.!

you might want to diffuse the flow, there are a few methods i've seen, whether you position the outflow to where it hits a decoration, or affix a plastic cup to the outflow so that it disperses the water over a larger area.

Back
Top Bottom