Sand Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carriwin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good afternoon, All!

I'm a newbie to the group, and I've already enjoy what I've seen here. I googled Blue Acara and found you guys through Google. YAY GOOGLE! :dance:

So here is my question: I'm trying sand substrate and wanted to know the best way to rinse it out before I put it in my new tank? I mean, how well can you rinse sand? LOL

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

Also, I'm thinking of going with a pseudo SW theme, with appropriate fake coral as decor with the white sand and brightly colored african cichlids. :cool: Thoughts?

THANK YOU!!

I have used seachem clarity on substrates where I'm trying to keep the clays (eg for planted tanks) or tried to wash too big a substrate mass in one go and found in tank it isn't really working out. No issues with using it with plants or fish that I found.

http://www.seachem.com/clarity.php

I always use a 5 gallon bucket. Fill it about half way with sand, then add water. Stir it around and dump out cloudy water. Repeat this until water is clear. Takes time so be patient.

Also, when I started keeping African Cichlids I would use play sand from. It looks nice but I find it is much dirtier and takes much longer to clean. I now use pool filter sand and it doesn't take as long to clean. Still looks good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom