sand vs gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been looking at cichlid tank setups and many of them seem to use a similar, pretty, coarse sand. I currently have some gravel mixed with beach glass (it came with the tank when I purchased it used). I prefer the look of the sand and I'm curious to know if there is a downside to using it as opposed to gravel.

Fist waste will sit on top of the sand as where it falls between the rocks in gravel.

Personally, I use gravel in my aquarium's. My fish also like to play with the gravel making holes and pockets to hide in. Also with sand I would be careful using a siphon because it may suck some of the sand out of your tank.

Lawngnome said:
Personally, I use gravel in my aquarium's. My fish also like to play with the gravel making holes and pockets to hide in. Also with sand I would be careful using a siphon because it may suck some of the sand out of your tank.

So it sounds like gravel is mainly preferred over sand because it makes tank maintenance easier? I do like easier but the sand looks very nice and more natural to me.

I do also like the looks of sand because I also like the natural look. Gravel suited my needs better and these were some of my deciding factors. There is nothing wrong with using sand though.

Lawngnome said:
I do also like the looks of sand because I also like the natural look. Gravel suited my needs better and these were some of my deciding factors. There is nothing wrong with using sand though.

Yeah. The stuff I have right now came with the tank and is not the natural look I want so I think ill try the sand. Hopefully its not to much of a pain when it comes to cleaning.

People actually typically think sand is less maintenance. With gravel, waste gets trapped inside and it needs to be vacuumed out or your levels will get out of wack. With sand, it's trapped on top and can be vacuumed, you just can't get too close or you will disturb your sand bed.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
People actually typically think sand is less maintenance. With gravel, waste gets trapped inside and it needs to be vacuumed out or your levels will get out of wack. With sand, it's trapped on top and can be vacuumed, you just can't get too close or you will disturb your sand bed.

Oh sweet! Sand for sure then... thanks!

For me it was sand or a crushed coral and it has been a hundred times easier to maintain. here are 2 examples that I keep in my house. thet are the same pic.

Attachments

• 75 Gallon cichlid.jpg
    75 Gallon cichlid.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 75 Cichlid.jpg
    75 Cichlid.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 171
Definitely sand. It is easier to maintain, much more natural, and looks MUCH better (IMO).

Back
Top Bottom