Sand - want to add more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissasreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am not happy with the complete look of my Fowlr tank. I would like to add more sand. I am going to the outer banks in NC I am thinking of bringing home like 10-15 pounds of sand. If I washed it well, do you think I could put this in the tank. Would it start another small cycle?

I have at porcupine puffer - 2"
a niger tang
a rabbit fish

I don't know the answer but I like your thinking. I would love to bring some of the OBX home with me.

I would be concerned with pollution of that sand. IMO it `s not worth the risk. Sand is not very expensive compared to the risk.

i would think if u boiled it then everything would die in it, but i have never boiled sand and dont know if it is safe i hope someone chimes in on this cause there are some places with beautiful sand in the us and people near by could get it for free

I agree with melosu on this one. My suggestion: Just don't do it. You don't know at all what is in that sand that could be bad for your tank. Tank life, and ocean life while similar, are extremely different in many ways. You could introduce something harmful into your tank that could quite possibly wipe out everything in it. Not saying that that is GOING to happen, but the possibilities are evident. I would just go to your LFS and buy live sand from their already established tanks(as long as the tanks have not been medicated), or go with the aragonite of your choosing. Aragonite comes in lots of shapes and sizes. Im sure you could find something out there that is to your liking

Back
Top Bottom