Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I have a planted tank with just sand as a substrate or do I need a layer of dirt under it for the plants to survive

I use PFS and my plants are doing good so far. I was using seachem root tabs but just made my own now. Sand is too compact for anything to get under and feed the roots so you should be ok as long as root tabs are used.

I use only sand in a fully planted 20g and all the plants are doing well. I have many different plants like swords, anubias, moss, java fern, etc. What plants do you want to plant in the sand?

Basically the plants you named. I don't have a lot of cash because I'm young so I'm just getting plants whenever I have the money. Right now the only plant I have is anubias that I tied to a piece of drift wood

Ok then you will be fine. Anubias and other rhizonmous plants feed mainly on the water column, and not on the substrate. So as long as you have enough ferts in the water column, they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom