Satellite lighting system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digitalgerl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Satellite brand light setup for my 37 gallon. It has 2 dual daylight bulbs at 65 watts each. Both are 6500/10000K.
Total of 130 wpg.
I think the wattage is correct. Could I use a better bulb perhaps than both being the dual daylights. Started getting algae on this fairly recent set up - 1 month. Running lights on a timer 12 hr on and 12 off.
Thanks for any help

I have dual daylight bulbs on my planted tank. They are fine for a planted tank and give nice color to both the plants and fish.

You have a total of 3.5 watts per gallon over your tank. You are going to get algae at this light level if you're not using CO2. Also, 12 hours per day of light is a lot. Set your timer for between 8 and 10 hours of light. I run my lights for about 9 hours.

Is the tank only one month old? Brown algae, called diatoms, is common in new setups.

You can keep the bulbs and the light level at this intensity if you use CO2 (pressurized is best at this light level and tank size) and fertilize properly. If the nutrient level drops (specifically nitates) algae will appear.

Thanks again for your advice. I do have the CO2 setup with a tank and diffuser. (HYDOR's brand). I am hoping the liquid ferts and plant tabs for the substrate that I just purchased will help. I guess then, that the lights are fine - just everything around it was wrong....lol. Well we've got the nutrients now so I'll continue with weekly water changes and 10 hours of daylight. I was just worried that 2 compact dual daylights was wrong - maybe missing some light spectrum that I didn't have and may have needed.

I do SW but when I added new lights I saw a huge algae bloom. I also only run my lights for 8 hours. BTW, the bloom went away after a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom