Save a Hobby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was surfing the web when I found this petition involving the importation and distribution of salamanders in the US.

I did some reading and found this federal registry link as well.

Basically, in order to prevent the spread of a deadly salamander chytrid fungus into the US they are eliminating all salamander imports. Which seems pretty reasonable. The thing is, it is also being made illegal to ship salamanders between two different states, even though the chytrid fungus hasn't been found in the US yet.

An entire hobby is essentially being destroyed as a preventative measure.

I don't keep salamanders or newts myself, but I thought, "what if this was our hobby?" and decided that signing the petition was the least I could do.

Let's all support our fellow glass box enthusiasts!

Stealing a quote from a post from a local fish club regarding salamanders (axolotl in particular) in VA:
"Additionally, owing to certain recent changes in the taxonomy of the Mole Salamander family (Ambystomatidae), Virginia has proposed expanding their ban to include the entire family. Until recently, Virginia has only banned three species of Tiger Salamander, which are included in said family. These animals can be incredibly invasive, and are known to spread several diseases among populations of salamanders. Banning them is not a bad thing. However, the family has recently been revised, and their taxonomy remains in a state of flux.

The Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) is a close relative of the common Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrium), included in both the same genus and, obviously, family. It will be covered by this ban, making it illegal to buy, sell, trade, or import into the state of Virginia. Many states often enact blanket legislature in order to avoid complicated matters of taxonomy. (Indeed, this is, in no small part, why all crayfish are banned in Virginia -- it's easier than trying to figure out just what species this particular crayfish is). "

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom