Saving Guppy Colony?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaPonic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a six year old guppy colony that is not doing well. I have three females left, three or four fry left, one or two juveniles, and unlimited males. The females are still breeding but die young. Their spines curve around the time they give birth. I ordered some internal parasite food, vita-chem, and de stressor. I isolated two of the three females in case harassment is causing it. I am wondering how to increase fry born, lifespan of female, and amount of fry that are female.

I've had a colony going since 2010, it's very important maintain a balanced population and keep new genes coming in every so often. Deformed fish should be culled asap. I don't what size tank you have or other fish so not sure what kind of situation you're looking at.

If it were me, I'd get rid of all the females since their spines curve and the fry they're carrying are probably not great. Then I'd go through the males and pick out the ones with features you like/colors etc, get rid of the rest. Then go buy enough females to equal 1m 2f for the new colony. Then you have new genes with the females being pregnant at purchase and your males will eventually breed with them and their daughters.

I have a keyhole cichlid that helps trim my colony. I also buy new females, or very occasionally new males if things need balanced out. I will cut a large number of fish out every year or two, choosing my favorites and add enough to balance numbers again.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had a colony going since 2010, it's very important maintain a balanced population and keep new genes coming in every so often. Deformed fish should be culled asap. I don't what size tank you have or other fish so not sure what kind of situation you're looking at.

If it were me, I'd get rid of all the females since their spines curve and the fry they're carrying are probably not great. Then I'd go through the males and pick out the ones with features you like/colors etc, get rid of the rest. Then go buy enough females to equal 1m 2f for the new colony. Then you have new genes with the females being pregnant at purchase and your males will eventually breed with them and their daughters.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 it's good to introduce new genes every now and then

I know this is late but I just read it. A good possibility is rickets Its dietary that causes the fish spine to bend the fish are lacking calcium,phophorous,and vitamin D, not a rare disease in live bearers. I would bet on this one,rather than interbreeding. Still a good idea to introduce new genes once in a while.

I feed them a huge mix of foods. I had two fry born with the a different spine problem. The new blood fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom