Scarlet Badis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been hearing some good things about scarlet badis on this forum, so I did some research and fell in love with them. So now I'm wondering, since I can't get any new tanks, could I put a pair in the 5 gallon currently housing a colony of RCS and a nerite snail? Are they fine in that size tank? Are those species compatible? Thanks in advance!

Awesome fish...monster cichlid personality in a tiny colorful package (y)

If you're getting a pair make sure you definitely don't have 2 males; most people can't find females in lfs.

I have 9 in a 5g, at least 3 are males. I have 2 3" cholla wood logs in the tank, they've used those to set up their territories.

Mine live with a bumblebee nerite, MTS, and RCS. They will literally stare down the shrimp, sometimes stalk them but never attack. I do occasionally see shrimp fry but for the most part I think the badis take care of them.

Some people have trouble getting them to eat. Mine are wild caught but will eat frozen or go after a clump of tubifex stuck to the glass. I'm also starting a few colonies of scuds for them.

img_3191945_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

picky eaters.. mine doesn't take freeze dried daphnia, flakes, or freeze dried worms. she does explore the entirety of my 3 gallon though and i see her pick at things in my driftwood and plants for small live food. threw in some hitchhiking scuds from a plant in hopes they make little scuds for her to hunt. occasionally i see her suck up a detritus worm swimming in the water column, and these very tiny white round things which i believe to be seed shrimp sticking to stuff.

got her about a month ago and she's actually living with a betta and bumblebee nerite.

Thanks for all the replies! Do they seem to prefer any specific setup, other than males having their own territories?

Thanks for all the replies! Do they seem to prefer any specific setup, other than males having their own territories?

Can't think of anything specific. Personally I'd suggest a dark substrate, seems to show their colors better.

Okay, I just did some major re-planting, and this is the result! (It's nowhere close to some of you more experienced people's tanks, but I'm rather proud of it...)

Psst.. forgot the pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I loved it the first time I saw it in my LFS. I bought one and put it in my a 7.9 gallon planted tank. Mine is a picky eater and it only eats live food and won't take any dried or freezed food. So every once in a while I buy live brine shrimp and he loves it. I just hope he would learn to eat other food though

Back
Top Bottom