Scheme pH Buffer 8.3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, my pH has always been pretty low... like 7.9. I've been told by a number of people that i need to raise it to keep my fish happy so today I tried out Scheme's pH Buffer 8.3.

How do you guys feel about it? Does anyone here use it? THe fish certainly are swimming around a lot more now. And I tested the water a few hours later and it's at 8.3 on the dot.

Thoughts?

Seachem is noted for heavy use of borate salts in many of it's products, really something to watch out for. Be sure you are doing weekly water changes to keep elements in the water from becoming skewed.

I've never been a fan of using buffers to control pH. More commonly it ends up working against you and the pH eventually crashes without warning. If an emergency, that's one thing but day to day control is not recommended.

Check the alkalinity of your tank and your new SW along with the pH. If the alk is not in the 2.75-3.0 mEq/l range, you should buffer some to increase it but that will only help with pH stability, not maintain the level. If the alk is already in that range, your problem is not chemical, it's environmental. pH is is controled/affected by the level of CO2 and acids within the tank. If alk is good, then the problem is most likely CO2 related. Use of solid lids without a good sized sump, lack of total water movement throughout the tank as well as the surface, insufficient air flow in the tank room itself (open a window) as well as improperly running gas appliances.

Cheers
Steve

I have been making weekly water changes and everything is great. No Amonia, no NO2, no NO3... But my pH has been 7.9. Is a pH of 7.9 bad?

Otherwise my Alk was 2.85 the last time I chedked.

If I've used the buffer this once, are you saying I shouldn't use it again?

L2 said:
Otherwise my Alk was 2.85 the last time I chedked.

If I've used the buffer this once, are you saying I shouldn't use it again?
If you've used the buffer, the alk is most likely increased some. Check it and see. I would not recommend more buffer to fix a pH problem.

At this level though, pH is not a result of poor alkalinity. You need to examine how the tank is set up in regards to available breathing spaces at the surface, overall water flow and the tank room itself.

Please post your tank details...

Cheers
Steve

12 gallon nano cube
the pump is rated at 230 GPH
and i have powerhead in the tank that's rated at 100 GPH
I also use the Nano Fission Skimmer... which is pretty good, tiny.

The JBJ Nano Cube gives off a lot of light!!
I've got some coral and 3 fish. Small ones. Very small. Some hermit crabs and snails of course.
11 or so pounds of live rock and coral substrate.

Will my pH dramatically drop and result in a crash if i stop using the pH buffer from now on?

And also... My fish having been swimming around a lot today and I can't decide if it's a good or a bad thing. It's almost as though the higher pH has kept them happier.

Do you have a top on this tank. Do you have good surface aggitation. IMO two factors that contribute to low PH values.

i do have a top on the tank but i leave the front of the canopy open. i do have good water agitation... the return pump is aimed directly at the surface.

L2 said:
Will my pH dramatically drop and result in a crash if i stop using the pH buffer from now on?
Other way 'round. pH may lower some if a minor CO2 issue but it will not crash. Excessive buffering will lead to a pH crash.

And also... My fish having been swimming around a lot today and I can't decide if it's a good or a bad thing. It's almost as though the higher pH has kept them happier.
Fish and other SW will always do better in a healthier pH environment (8.3-8.5), just as importantly is stability.

Small covered tanks can be especially hard to keep aerated without an open top or sump. You might try a small fan aimed and the lid itself at the opening. Just be mindful of evap. What temp do you keep the tank at?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom