Scum line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwanny

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys im getting a strange scum line in my 55 gallon tank. Ive been doing 50% water changes to get rid of an ammonia issue. Theres a strange scum line that is forming halfway down in the tank that covers the lower half of the tank ( the water level of when i do a half water change) im only adding prime and dechlorinator and i was just curious as to what it might be forming from. Also it sounds like a dumb question but my instinct is to wipe it off right before a water change then let the water change take some of that nastyness out during the water change. Is this smart or should i wipe it after the water changed and let my filter take that scum in and cycle it to help my beneficial bacteria grow? Thanks!

I'd do that as well and wipe off, then water change. I've done the other way and find I'm just staring at a fresh water changed tank with floating gunk in it.

Might be an algae or mineral salts buildup (although mineral salts tends to be at top of tank for me).

I'd do that as well and wipe off, then water change. I've done the other way and find I'm just staring at a fresh water changed tank with floating gunk in it.

Might be an algae or mineral salts buildup (although mineral salts tends to be at top of tank for me).

Interesting thought. Im also thinking it could be from the crushed coral i have in the tank. Its like a white chalky substance so that would make sense. Thanks for your input as always! Youre great

No problems :) Do you think it's building up just below where you water change to? I have seen that with algae and biofilm so wondered if that would make sense for your carbonate buildup you are seeing.

No problems :) Do you think it's building up just below where you water change to? I have seen that with algae and biofilm so wondered if that would make sense for your carbonate buildup you are seeing.

Yea its exactly where id do a water change to and below. Half of the tank has scum and the other half didnt. It was strange. I think it was from the coral i had in there. Not sure. Haha all clean now

Back
Top Bottom