sea hares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric faatz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was at my lfs and saw this thing in one of there tanks,ask what it was he told me a sea hare,i thouhgt it looked odd so i bought it.does anybody know anything about these weird things.:shocked!:

Caution: The Sea Hare may secrete or releases toxins that may kill fish in the aquarium. The species may release toxic compounds when stressed, or release toxic compounds when it dies. It is important to handle this species with care at all times and to never keep it with species that may attempt to harm it. It is possible for the toxic secretions to poison an entire aquarium.

Here's a good site about them Sea Hare

You should really research before you buy.

I DO RESEARCH BEFORE I BUY!!!! but my son saw it and my grandaughter so my son bought it for her. and we talked to the guy at my lfs and he sid it would do fine.

Ok, sorry if I offended you. But they really need special care so that they don't release any toxins and poison your tank. Just because an LFS may say that something is fine in a tank, doesn't always mean that it is.

you didnt affend its just that i know to research and i didnt get it my son did. also i know my lfs wouldnt lie to me.....ive been dealing with them from the start.

I just got a sea hare as well! I was having a hair algae problem and the hare was the remedy (although now I think the algae was from my own laziness and not keeping up on water changes!) Anyway, the sea hare is pretty cool, eats algae like crazy! I've been giving it sheets of seaweed and it seems to love it. I was told if there is no algae they will die. Also if they are really startled they may ink a toxin. Good luck with yours! ps how much did you pay for yours? just curious

Back
Top Bottom