SeaChem Alkalinity test problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
zenn wrote:
So i got a different alk test kit since the Redsea one i had only gave you "low, medium and high" results from the test. I went with the SeaChem alk test kit because i've heard people like these kits. Well, mine doesn't work so good. I don't know if it's user error or not but the test is easy to perform and it just isn't giving me any results.

If anyone here uses this specific test kit, maybe you could help me. I follow the instructions and they're easy enough. First fill up the sample pipet to the base of the bulb, and empty it into one of those dishes. Then add drops of the alk reagent, stirring after each drop, until the liquid turns from blue to yellow. My problem is it neve really turns yellow. I'll add 20+ drops and it keeps turning into this dark blue/green type color. No yellow. So i could use some help as to what i'm doing wrong...or if anyone would have a suggestion about another way i could test for alk that would be cool..

TIA

There is a alk reagent and a total Alk reagent bottle. Make sure you are using the correct one (not total alk). The correct one is yellow. Melissa did the same thing one time. She called me on the phone and when I got home I saw what she was doing.

i see the "alkalinity reference" bottle, and the "alkalinity reagent" bottle. I used the later (yellow). I did not use the reference bottle because that's just to check the test's accuracy or something.

That is correct. You add one drop then stir it. Then continue adding drops until it turns from blue to yellow. Mine works fine. Only thing I could think of was wrong solution being used.

could you describe the yellow color you see it change too? is it similar to the yellow color the alk reagent is? Or is it a more subtle/subdued yellow color?

I am in the office now but if my memory serves me correctly is more subtle. Not as dark of a yellow. If you have not got it by the time I leave the office I will do a test when I get home to confirm my directions and results (did it from memory) I do not use it often, except for QT tanks I have a pinpoint PH monitor in my main.

Back
Top Bottom