Seachem Purigen and Stress Coat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've been using the seachem Purigen on my SW tank for a while, and have loved it, so i figured I'd add it to my 125 gallon tank with 2 Oscars in it. I just did a water change, and dechlorinated with Prime, and then added some stress coat to it as well cuz one of my Oscars decided he was going to push a piece of driftwood across the tank, and got scratched up on his sides. I cleaned out one of the 2 Eheim 2217s on the tank, and added some of the purigen to it.

I got to reading online and seen a bunch of horror stories people have had with adding purigen to a tank with stress coat in it, saying the it makes the purigen turn toxic. From what I understood from reading prior to adding the purigen, the only way stress coat does any harm is if you use it when recharging it....but I just read some people saying that it turns toxic even if its the first use in a tank along with stress coat.

Would anybody with firsthand experience on this be able to help me out, and ease my mind? The purigen I added to the filter is brand new, right out of the package...so will it have a bad reaction to the stress coat, or will ibe OK until I go to recharge it?

You don't need Purigens in FW setups. You are way better off with Pond Matrix or Denitrate. You don't really need the stress coat either.

Not sure if it makes it toxic but it does say in the Purigen instructions (somewhere, I believe) that certain additives make it useless. I can't remember really but read the instructions. Maybe StressCoat is one of those additives, call SeaChem and ask them.

You don't need Purigens in FW setups. You are way better off with Pond Matrix or Denitrate. You don't really need the stress coat either.

Problem with that, is around here its EXTREMELY hard to find any pond matrix, I've even had trouble finding it online, and the Denitrate is rated for filters with flow rate of 50gph or less....which is extremely low...and the Eheim 2217s I have on the tank are way higher than 50gph. And the only time I use stress coat is when I see one of my fish have been hurt, scratched up, or damaged in any way. I add just enough to try and help the healing process

I saw a gallon of Pond Matrix on Amazon. They sell by the gallon though.

Back
Top Bottom