Seeded Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm cycling my 37 gallon tank and have heard seeded media helps. Anyone know where I can get some?

marge02144 said:
Hi I'm cycling my 37 gallon tank and have heard seeded media helps. Anyone know where I can get some?

Do you have a friend? Maybe a pet shop near by? I had a friend that was nice enough to mail some to help out our tank at the firehouse.

Well none of my friends have aquariums. What would I ask the pet store?

marge02144 said:
Well none of my friends have aquariums. What would I ask the pet store?

You could ask the pet shop if they can spare some used filter media from a tank. A chain LFS probably won't because they have a huge filtration system that closed in. It would be hard for them to get to it.

Hmm I don't know of any non-chain pet stores around my area.

Do you live in the US? If so, check here Sponge Filters for aquariums They sell live, cycled filters. Just make sure you order a filter labeled 'active' or you will just get a plain, new filter. They have helped numerous members cycle their tanks. :)

Well I would post it on the classifieds, but I'm new to the website and I can't do that yet :(

Do you live in the US? If so, check here Sponge Filters for aquariums They sell live, cycled filters. Just make sure you order a filter labeled 'active' or you will just get a plain, new filter. They have helped numerous members cycle their tanks. :)
That sounds GREAT! But, I'm looking at the website and I have no idea what anything means/what to buy! I'm clueless :(

That sounds GREAT! But, I'm looking at the website and I have no idea what anything means/what to buy! I'm clueless :(

On the pg, scroll down to the 'Active filters' section. You have two options- either a 15-30ppi filter or a 50ppi filter. One or two of the 15-30ppi filters is what you want to purchase if you go this route. The filters can be run with an airpump & some tubing or cut up & placed in current filters. :)

Last edited:
jlk said:
On the pg, scroll down to the 'Active filters' section. You have two options- either a 15-30ppi filter or a 50ppi filter. One or two of the 15-30ppi filters is what you want to purchase if you go this route. The filters can be run with an airpump & some tubing or cut up & placed in current filters. :)

If I run them with an airpump, where do I put them? Just on the bottom of my tank?

Back
Top Bottom