Seeding a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon that has been running with fish for almost 6 months. I am starting a fish-less cycle on a new 110 gallon tank and I was wondering, can I use the filter bag from my current tank in the new one to get the cycle going? I am familiar with the idea of seeding a tank but I am little hazy on the details. How long until it makes a difference and what should I be looking for? Also, where do I put the filter bag from the old tank? I have a Marineland canister filter on the new tank.

I have a 30 gallon that has been running with fish for almost 6 months. I am starting a fish-less cycle on a new 110 gallon tank and I was wondering, can I use the filter bag from my current tank in the new one to get the cycle going? I am familiar with the idea of seeding a tank but I am little hazy on the details. How long until it makes a difference and what should I be looking for? Also, where do I put the filter bag from the old tank? I have a Marineland canister filter on the new tank.

You have a couple of options here. You could take the filter from your 110 and run it on your 30 for 4 weeks to seed it. You could also add some of the biological media from the filter in your 30 to the filter in your 110 to seed it and increase the speed of your fishless cycle. Just make sure not to move all of the media from your 30 to the 110 to ensure that your 30 doesn't have to be re-cycled. Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom