seperating a convict pair ,1 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
will the male(which im keeping), get depressed?
probably a stupid question but im just wondering :)

Yes; he'll start hanging out all night in sleazy bars, better keep him away from sharp objects in case he becomes suicidal...

Certain cichlid species will act depressed from the loss of a mate, however, convicts will generally re-pair with another mate quite easily, and aren't as affected as other species

Actually, convicts are one of the the worst species for crossbreeding. Females will mate with just about any other species in the tank if there's no male convict available. Not sure if the males are as non-discriminating, or maybe females of other species are more particular, but lone male convicts aren't as likely to crossbreed as females.

He will be in the tank that is, the female is going back to the lfs

My point is that the bond between convicts can be severed pretty easily as opposed to other species. Keyholes tend to get depressed when losing a mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually, convicts are one of the the worst species for crossbreeding. Females will mate with just about any other species in the tank if there's no male convict available. Not sure if the males are as non-discriminating, or maybe females of other species are more particular, but lone male convicts aren't as likely to crossbreed as females.

Wow, so they're pretty much the sluts of the fish world. Now I'm a bit worried, as I have a male FM/JD in with a female con in my tank. I chose a female over a male for a lesser bioload and to avoid challenging my FM whom is the current boss.

Typically they will only breed with species that are similar looking, like species within cryptoheros or amatitlania (namely siquia and sp. honduran red point).

Back
Top Bottom