seperating guppies really needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amandahj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Getting excited, I have a few female guppies squaring off. They're in a 30 gallon and there are several plants, some rooted some floating. In the past I have never used breeding tanks or seperated the males and had more then I knew what to do with. My bf, however, feels I really should seperate them...what are your thoughts? I did get them to breed though, so...?

Seperate the babies or male/female? If your breeding both are important but, IMO seperating generations is v

Very important, so dads and moms arent fertilizing/getting fertilized by the children. But male female seperation is important for same reasons just brother\sister aspect.

Guppies

Getting excited, I have a few female guppies squaring off. They're in a 30 gallon and there are several plants, some rooted some floating. In the past I have never used breeding tanks or seperated the males and had more then I knew what to do with. My bf, however, feels I really should seperate them...what are your thoughts? I did get them to breed though, so...?

Hello a...

I keep large, planted tanks of Fancy Guppies and keep all the fish together. It's much less stressful for the females.

If you're concerned for the fry, just start feeding all the fish more often. It's been my experience with Guppies that well fed adults show little or no interest in the fry and the fry grow more quickly with the added food.

B

PoppaRyno said:
Very important, so dads and moms arent fertilizing/getting fertilized by the children. But male female seperation is important for same reasons just brother\sister aspect.

Wouldn't the offspring still breed anyway? I have pregnant pups as young as two months! I could barely tell the sexes before I seen my baby females black bellies growing, lol. Are fish capable of having "mentally challenged" fish...? I wouldn't have thought so but obviously ain't sure now.

Idk about "mentally challenged," but a couple of my guppies have severely deformed backs... I got them from my lfs, which was selling them as feeder guppies; apparently the owner doesn't separate mum/dad + offspring....
They seems really happy though! No problems swimming or eating!

Fancy Guppies

Wouldn't the offspring still breed anyway? I have pregnant pups as young as two months! I could barely tell the sexes before I seen my baby females black bellies growing, lol. Are fish capable of having "mentally challenged" fish...? I wouldn't have thought so but obviously ain't sure now.

Hello a...

Your Fancy Guppies come from a handful that were found in the tropics of South America somewhere 150 years ago, so don't worry about inbreeding causing retarded fish. I'm no expert, but I don't believe the genetics for tropical fish work the same way they do for mammals.

I started with six females quite a few years ago and now have 7 tanks with about 1,500 individuals and 99.9 percent of them are very healthy. With the number of fry born, you'll get one with a physical problem, but if you keep the water extremely clean, those fish will be fine and produce some very nice fry.

B

bosoxlobsterman said:
Idk about "mentally challenged," but a couple of my guppies have severely deformed backs... I got them from my lfs, which was selling them as feeder guppies; apparently the owner doesn't separate mum/dad + offspring....
They seems really happy though! No problems swimming or eating!

I received a group of guppies that had hump backs, however, I was told it was do to a dramatic temperature drop and being forced to stay in the cool water to long but I don't know how accurate it is...

Fancy Guppies

I received a group of guppies that had hump backs, however, I was told it was do to a dramatic temperature drop and being forced to stay in the cool water to long but I don't know how accurate it is...

Hello again a...

The reason for the spine problem was more likely the crowded conditions where the Guppies were raised and not the water temperature. Just remove and replace half the tank water every week and the fish will be fine.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again a...

The reason for the spine problem was more likely the crowded conditions where the Guppies were raised and not the water temperature. Just remove and replace half the tank water every week and the fish will be fine.

B

Will that fix the spine problem? Just asking cause I also have fancy guppies in a community tank and some of the babies have a spine problem. They seem healthy and happy given the bent spine.

Fancy Guppies

Hello G...

The spine problem is very likely permanent in the adults. I've seen this condition on rare occasions in a female or two and almost never in males.

If you're feeding a varied diet and keeping up on your weekly, large water changes, the same condition in the fry might improve a little.

The important thing is the general health of the fish and you can help by just keeping the water extremely clean all the time.

The spine thing doesn't really harm the fish that I can tell and they can have healthy fry. Just take good care of your fish and they'll have a good life.

B

Thanks brad,

Just wondering. Cause I keep up on all my water changes, adding salt and cleanings. Thanks for the info. Cause I had read something some where that the fish with spine problems if allowed to breed can continue to the cycle of having more fry with spine problems. So again thanks for the info.

From what i know inbreeding them can cause the spine prblms due to recessive\less healthier genetics being passed on. But thats just my experience. They still give good fry though

Back
Top Bottom