Seriously concerned about Molly's, please help ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BekkyH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Me and my partner got 2 Molly fish about 2 months ago and ever since have had non stop problems. First we noticed they were developing white stuff on their eyes and kept going to the bottom so we bought a general fish medication from pets at home which seemed to do the trick, but now despite the fact they look better they both still keep staying on bottom of the tank and not moving my much...appetite is good. Ammonia levels at 0 and nitrate is still pretty high but unsure how to get levels down? Please help, we can't seem to get it right and fear we may lose them ?

Keep doing partial water changes and keep them very clean will help. I've usually had bad experiences with mollys and I've had fish for a long time. Seems like many of them are sick straight from the store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A picture would help diagnosing what it has .

Sent from my SM-G925P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lots of fish available at your local PetSmart or PetCo are sick, and livebearers, for some reason, seem especially prone. Luckily, my nearby PetCo is actually very high quality and its the only major chain I've not had a problem with. The actually run separate filters on each tank and I've seen them quarantining fish.

So if you got them from there, it make sense.

However, i would do 20% water changes as much as you can, once a day if possible. Water quality is key.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You gonna have to provide more information on their symptoms than just sitting on the bottom of the tank. Is it NitrAte or NitrITe that is high? High NitrITe can kill a fish, high nitrates is nothing but a nuisance to them and rarely does any damage.
Right now its anyones guess as to whats the matter with them. You mine as well ice death the and go buy some more. Not to sound cruel but you said youve had problems been going on for awhile.....

Ive never used medications for any of my fish...i find regular water changes will fix 99% of all problems in this hobby

WC are the best cure IMO as well, unless its a really expensive fish. Then i want to do a bit more.

But as i said, lots of fish from bigger stores are laced with disease. This may not be the case, just thought it was worth pointing out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom