Setting up 29gal Planted this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaydizzle707

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I'll be setting up a 29 gal planted tank this weekend using some materials from my 20gallon which I'll be retiring for the moment. My whole thing is that I wanna do it right. I want to use a soil/fertilizer on the bottom then layered on top with some sand. My question is that when laying down the soil then sand; when I go to putting in new plants I have this image in my head where I insert a plant into the substrate soil /dirt will leak out of the crevasse and get into my tank's water. How can I set up my tank to ensure safety for my fish and keep the integrity of the tank? Perhaps somebody could give me some simple steps.

First off, good job in trying to plan your tank first rather than just throwing stuff in and later wanting to hit the reverse button. I'd be more concerned about the sand getting into the water column over the layer of dirt. Said that, maybe try putting your layers in but only fill the tank 1/4 of the way to allow for the substrate to be fully saturated before filling rest of the way. I have not done this but this is just what comes to mind. Keep us posted on the progress!!

what kind of soil should I go for? I was thinking of miracle gro?

Jaydizzle707 said:
what kind of soil should I go for? I was thinking of miracle gro?

An organic mix is most commonly used, like Miracle Grow organic. You should cap it with gravel or sand, otherwise you'll have quite a mess on your hands.

Back
Top Bottom