Setting up a 5 gallon - new to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a five gallon that I'm setting up for ramshorns and pond snails (for food) and I just ordered a bunch more from someone who reccomended using a heavily planted tank for them instead of a bare tank (this is how he breeds his)

I have been breeding mine in a little 1.5 gallon but left them with a friend for the summer since I was working out of province (until my town kinda burned down, now I'm back living with the folks till university starts in September) but my friend reports that my snails have just up and quit reproducing and it's getting to be pretty slim pickings in there... so I figured I'd start a 5 gallon setup here and take it back with me in september, and send her some in the meantime.

So my questions are,

1. what kind of substrate

2. what kind of plants

3. how much lighting

for a small snail tank like this? The tank is right next to a window so it gets lots of natural light, water is heated to about 80 F. I do have a light fixture for it if nessesary.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great, I've never had a fully planted tank before :)

You will want some kind of light for it. Using natural light is not a good way for a beginner to run a planted tank.

As far as substrate, it really depends on your budget, what you like, and what kind of plants you want to grow.

It sounds as if you are going low light... but unfortunately a lot of the small, compact plants require higher lighting. It can be done with low light however. Some crypts, some java moss, some anubias nana, they would all work in low light.

The light fixture I have is actually for a ten gallon so if I get the proper bulbs I don't think providing enough light will be a problem. I am assuming one uses a high spectrum bulb (it's fluorescent)

as far as budget goes, it's not my main concern, but the main purpose of the tank is to hold a decent quantity of snails and provide an optimum breeding environment for them. I want to stay away from plants that grow massive really fast and always have to be cut back, just to avoid losing a lot of eggs and small snails. A friend gave me some hornwort once and it just exploded everywhere!

Java moss and anubias would work well. Java moss is a somewhat fast grower but nothing like hornwort. Anubias grows very slowly.

You are right on with the light. Plants need peaks in the blue and red spectrum. A bulb with a color temp of 6500k to 10000k will work very well, and the fixture sounds as if it will be good without adding a lot of additional requirements for supplementation, especially if you stick we easy low light plants.

I think it all depends on the type of snails you're looking to breed. Not all snails lay eggs strictly on plants. Matter of fact a large portion of them will use the aquarium glass or overhang (lip) of thz aquarium. As long as you provide ample food and mature sexes, there shouldn't be a problem at all. Throw in a few anubais Nana and algea tabs and you don't need to worry about lighting or substrate. Obviously softer finer substrate will give more options for egg dropping, as will adding driftwood. But none of it will inhibit snail reproduction. Water quality and food is the only necessity.

Back
Top Bottom