setting up a shrimp bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Want to setup a shrimp bowl in my just finished upstairs kitchen. Just the small cherry shrimp size. this way I can breed them and put them in my other tanks as well.

Any tips?

Do they need heated water? How many gallons? Filter? etc etc

Im looking to put plants in it. Will they jump out if there is no lid?

Thanks

Want to setup a shrimp bowl in my just finished upstairs kitchen. Just the small cherry shrimp size. this way I can breed them and put them in my other tanks as well.

Any tips?

Bigger the bowl the better, buy shrimplets as opposed to fully grown, but more than you think you need (expect some to die), try and match the water they were born in, lots of plants, establish the bowl for a while before adding shrimp, do small water changes and watch NO3, shrimp do not like NO3.

Do they need heated water? How many gallons? Filter? etc etc

They do best in a non-heated tank, so now heater. Up to you how big, but get the largest one space / money / wife will allow. No filter, but I would look for a super low flow pump, or a small air pump to provide some flow.

Im looking to put plants in it. Will they jump out if there is no lid?

They will not jump, mine do because fish chase them, but if left alone they will not jump. I would do a bunch of moss / jave fern / floating plants / anubias / small crypts, but plants are all subjective to the owner

Thanks

Answered in bold ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
if no heater, how cold can they tolerate? It gets pretty cold in our house during the winter. I dont want to freeze them out. I was looking at one of these tanks.

https://www.petsmart.com/featured-b...-gal-retreat-aquarium-38318.html?cgid=5000270

https://www.petsmart.com/featured-brands/top-fin/top-fin-calm-glass-aquarium-38405.html?cgid=5000270

the larger one has a filter area.

I would go with the larger one. A simple sponge in the filter area is all that would be needed.

Any room temp is fine. As long as the water is in liquid form and not solid or gas, they will live.

I’ve read stories of people leaving them in their backyard ponds and have allowed them to slightly freeze over, cherry shrimp lived to tell the tale.

I would go with the larger one. A simple sponge in the filter area is all that would be needed.

Any room temp is fine. As long as the water is in liquid form and not solid or gas, they will live.

I’ve read stories of people leaving them in their backyard ponds and have allowed them to slightly freeze over, cherry shrimp lived to tell the tale.

great,saving money on my heater. Will they continue to breed in lower temps. Id like to be able to eventually transfer some populations to my other tanks.

Lower temps their metabolism slows down, so they don't breed as fast/eat as much/etc (and it speeds up if it's a lot warmer), but I think that's mostly when you're getting way outside of normal room temperature.

That looks like a tank to me!

Fluval Flex - looks great planted with shrimp. Comes in a 15G and a 9G.

I personally really like the Fluval Edge 6.6G.

Just noted that the lower priced tank said half of one gallon.

The Fluval Chi is a nice tank for shrimp too, just take off the top and add a AquaClear 20 hangs right on back.

In case you need one
Aqueon Aquatic Flat Heater, 15 Watts
Fluval Edge 25W Compact Heater
Marina Betta Submersible Aquarium Heater 8W

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom