Severum breathing very fast, but otherwise normal. Possible Parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DustinGerard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed in my 55 gallon over the past few days that my Golden Sev is breathing very fast compared to all my other fish. The others all all doing fine but I went get my water tested anyway and the LFS store said my water is perfect. I have been observing the fish and also noticed that my Krib is chasing the Sev quite a lot but he doesnt seem to actually nip him. I'm running 2 Magnum 350 canisters with carbon as well as 3 airstones. Temperature is at 82 F which to me is fine for my South American cichlids, but Ive recently heard Sevs like it cooler. I vacuumed about 10% of the tank water Sunday The Sev is eating normally, swimming normally, and not going to the top for air either. Any ideas?

Video Attachment?

Here is a video of him. I appologize for it being sideways.... Any ideas?

Last edited:
Get yourself an API freshwater test kit. Local fish stores use the strips which can be very inaccurate.

I did this weekend finally and the readings show:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 7.6

My readings seem good, yet he is still breathing heavy. Someone i know suggested that his gill my be damaged from a fight or ich and need to heal. Im not sure though....he is still eating and swimming around great! What do you think?

By the way, since i posted this, i recently started treating for parasites with Epson Salt added to his food in case its that. Today is the last day of that. Temperature is at 86 again to make sure the ich outbreak has been contained.

Back
Top Bottom