Sexing a BNP, Wanting a male but......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcsport

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well today I took off to a local shop to pick up a BNP. They had one tank with quite a few really nice young ones with very short bristles. I told them I wanted one of them. They told me there is a breading pair in there and didnt want get one by mistake and said to pick one from this other tank. Now the ones in this tank were smaller and could not see any bristles. She said they just didnt have them yet. So they bag me one up I get home and start wondering if they slipped me a female and had all the males were in the other tank that had the (breeding pair) Dont get me wrong, There is nothing wrong with the fish but if I'm only going to have one BNP I want it to look like one. The pleco is an inch long maybe a bit longer. I'm open to any thought or ideas. Thanks!

It may be too young for bristles but most males start showing bristles about that size. What is their return policy? You should check and see if they will take her back if it turns out to be a her.

My experience with buying fish that aren't old enough to sex is that I buy a group of them. Six is ideal to get a pair, a few less if you need a single gender. Just sell the rest or trade them at you LFS after they can be sexed.

Back
Top Bottom