Sexing Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have found the belly shape/curve to be a very reliable way of sexing them, especially when coupled with looking at their breeding tube.
If you can pics, try to clear shots taken from the side.

I have heard to look at the chin, the more rounded, the more likely its a female. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I've found the chin way more successful when sexing from a young age, but still get it wrong occasionally.

The only sure way is to see if they have male or female equipment. When they are very young it's impossible. But when they get older, around 2+ inches, then you can usually tell them apart. Of course, you would need access to a store that has older fish in stock and know what to look for.

There's lots online about this and looking at pictures can help, but I'd suggest only getting two to start with so that you can learn the difference. If you get one of each gender, then it will become obvious. If you get both of the same gender, then when you look in shops you will notice the ones that are different from what you already have.

Also, it's usually easy to pick a definite male. There's almost always a dominant male in the tank who is showing more color and attitude. Females are trickier because it's hard to tell a young male from a female. But if you spot a definite male in the store tank, look for another fish that seems to be hanging out with him. It's most likely a female. To do this, it's best to go to the store during off-peak hours so you can observe them when they are undisturbed.

Last edited:
Ok, I am going to show you some pics of male and female rams to show you the belly thing. The other posters can point out the chin differences if they would like. :)
This post will have females, then I will make another post with males.
Females: Note the thicker breeding tube and the round belly. After the pelvic fins, the belly curves around to the breeding tube.

First shot is from seriouslyfish.com, second shot is from thinkfish.co.uk

Attachments

• Mikrogeophagus-altispinosus-adult1.jpg
    Mikrogeophagus-altispinosus-adult1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 1311_bolivian_ram.jpg
    1311_bolivian_ram.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Males: Note the belly is flatter, and the breeding tube is not as thick as it is on the females. After the pelvic fins, the belly is flat and points slightly up to the breeding tube.

The first shot is from badmanstropicalaquariums.com, the second is from seriouslyfish.com.

I chose these fish because none of them have super bright colors, so they look more like the ones you will see in stores usually.
As was said, behavior is also a good indicator. Males in the tank tend to display more for each other and lip lock and chase. They will stay a bit apart from each other, often on their own little patch. Females will wander the tank more freely.

Attachments

• male 1.jpg
    male 1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2,704
  • male 2.jpg
    male 2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 510
Back
Top Bottom