Sexing Male and Female Labs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good way (not 100%) is to check there bottom fins..the males tend to have more black then females

Mrc8858 said:
A good way (not 100%) is to check there bottom fins..the males tend to have more black then females

Not even that is reliable, different strains of labs could have more black on the bottom fins than others. I would like to point out once again that they are monomorphic ( meaning males and females look the same) and venting is really the only real way to check.

Mogurako said:
Not even that is reliable, different strains of labs could have more black on the bottom fins than others. I would like to point out once again that they are monomorphic ( meaning males and females look the same) and venting is really the only real way to check.

Ya I understand that but if the OP is gonna try and sex from just looks that's the best way I know of

Ok Mrc8858, out of curiosity what ones do you think are male and what ones are female?

1. img_1924088_0_92010310280dd81fec8c23c2249e5ee6.jpg
  2. img_1924088_1_dd7ea3bb8c334335d8b4817ecd6a90f6.jpg
  3. img_1924088_2_1f9c9346389d03750111a37af06c4e4a.jpg
  4. img_1924088_3_6bbc80d2fc0a54b67391f24b0faec466.jpg

Bryanm70 said:
All female :p

Haha yes, I hoped #3 would trip someone up because of how intense the black is. Also #4 doesn't even have any black because it's a different locational variant. Which just goes to show with a fish that monomorphic venting is the best way to go unless you can get a couple lucky guesses.

Haha yes, I hoped #3 would trip someone up because of how intense the black is. Also #4 doesn't even have any black because it's a different locational variant. Which just goes to show with a fish that monomorphic venting is the best way to go unless you can get a couple lucky guesses.

Agreed 100%.

Awesome thanks for the info. Second question I have a white lab and a yellow lad IF one is female and the other male will they mate?

Cool I hope they are! I have a lot of questions. I'm new to the cichlid world! I was breeding Bettas for a while and decided to change it up. All of my cichlids are juvenile when do they get to a mature age?

Joostrom said:
Cool I hope they are! I have a lot of questions. I'm new to the cichlid world! I was breeding Bettas for a while and decided to change it up. All of my cichlids are juvenile when do they get to a mature age?

Depends on the species, labs can start at about 2.5-4".

These are the cichlids I have.
Auratus cichlid
Cyprichromis
Melanochtomis Auratus
Kenyi
Johanni
Blue dolphin
And labs
Will these go together I bought them all at the same time and the LFS didn't say other wise?

Also I don't know any of the sexs of my cichlids

These are the cichlids I have.
Auratus cichlid
Cyprichromis
Melanochtomis Auratus
Kenyi
Johanni
Blue dolphin
And labs
Will these go together I bought them all at the same time and the LFS didn't say other wise?

I'd separate the mbuna's (auratus, kenyi, johanni, labs) from the non-mbuna's (cyprichromis & blue dolphin) and form proper gender ratio's among each group. Not sure if the latter two are compatible with each other.

Kenyi, auratus and johanni's are dimorphic species and their genders become apparent as they mature. Yellow labs and blue dolphins are monomorphic so it's a lot harder, these you wil have to vent (full grown blue dolphins/cyrtocara moorii are easy to differentiate from the full grown females).

Back
Top Bottom