Shims not working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is 1/4 inch lower on the right hand side than the left... I'm using one of these plastic types of shims bought at lowes, claiming it's stronger than wood, yada yada. Well, When I put in a 1/4 inch shim on the left it really changes nothing. I've jammed about 5 of them in there and I don't know if the weight of the tank makes these ineffective OR heck, I have no idea why it's not changing anything on my level (or visually looking at the tank for that matter). Anyone have trouble leveling their tank?

My 20g is on a stand placed on carpet. What I did to level it is take some cardboard, fold it up and put under the stand. Worked perfect and can't see it.

That many shims would have raised the height more than 1/4 inch. I have 1/2 inch wood blocks under my table to level the tank. Could the weight of the tank be causing the stand to sink in the middle? If you are leveling the legs and that doesn't work, check the center of your stand/table. I had to add a brace under my table in the middle to support the tank weight. It was causing the center of the table to sag. You should only need one shim to raise it that little bit. Slide the thin end of the shim in first, then take a hammer and tap the shim in a little at a time, checking level after each tap. Make sure the leg of the stand isn't being forced out. You may have to get someone to apply pressure to the leg of the stand to keep it from sliding out at an angle. Or just get a 1/4 inch scrap of wood and put it under the leg.

So after trying all day to level that tank with shims it seems that the stand is so solid that what occurs on one side literally lifts the other side. Thus, when u push a 1/4 shim on left it lifts the other side up 1/4 inch thus giving the impression the shim did nothing AND making the tank actually wobble more because its lifted. Because of this wobble its actually the lesser of two evils to have the tank without shims.I don't know how big a deal a 1/4 inch is on the tank... Which is what the difference is... I read 1/8 an inch is acceptable. Anyone out there know if 1/4 inch from left to right is that bad. Perfectly level from wall to front. Any thoughts?

So I guess now what I'm searching for is a material to build a platform for under the stand. If I was able to pour a floor leveling compound the angle of the floor would simply be corrected and then dry level. Problem is the floor is wood and I don't want to permanently alter the wood floor so I was thinking if I built a frame the dimensions of the tank and then laid plastic on the floor, poured (something, concrete?) on top... it would harden and be level in that space. The slab in theory would only occupy under the stand and not be permanently affixed to the wood floor as the plastic underneath the pour would keep it from the flooring. My fear is the material that I pour would crack under the weight of the tank so anyone out there have any ideas on good materials to use here?

Back
Top Bottom