Shipping fish internationally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is just a "I'm wondering" question :D

I keep hearing a lot about aquabid.com, and I do have experience shipping live birds and mammals, but what about fish? Say I was interested in bringing fish in from another country, what is the cost and proceedure for doing so? (I am totally not at this point but I'm curious!) I see a lot of very nice fish advertised from thailand. Would they make it all the way to North America alive?

well in know in the USA the best bet would be to go though a trans shipper. it saves a lot of money and time/effort.

with a trans shipper you pay them a extra fee to deal with all the paper work and then send it to you.

most fish are farmed over seas... so yes they can make it here.

You are in BC? Canadian gov't have more paperwork requirement when importing animals & plants. I don't know if they make an exception for hobbyists (say an aquabid hobbyist to you), but last I look, they want health certificates & all sorts of paper work. It is best to get a pro to handle this, but it is going to cost $100 or more just for the permit ... so really is only worthwhile if you have a big shipment.

A gov't link:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Aquatic Animal Health - Importation of Aquatic Animals Into Canada

Any Canadians having direct experience with this?

Back
Top Bottom