Should I add more substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
While planting a Crinum calamistratum plant a couple days ago, I had some trouble getting the potion of the bulb that needs to be below the substrate planted. Currently, I have 2 inches of substrate composed of a mix of Eco-Complete and black flourite sand. My tank is a 30 gallon long (36" by 12" by 16"). Is 2 inches of substrate not enough for plants like Amazon Swords and Cryptocoryne? I've been wondering about this for a long time, but I've never really talked about it on here. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IMO, 2" of substrate should be enough. If you have plants with very large root bulbs 3" would be better. But for stem plants and normal sized sword plants 2" should be adequate. OS.

IMO, 2" of substrate should be enough. If you have plants with very large root bulbs 3" would be better. But for stem plants and normal sized sword plants 2" should be adequate. OS.

That's good. I might have to purchase a little more Eco-Complete and spot it in the area of the Crinum. I hope it does well if I leave it how it is though.

Post a pic once you get it planted. I'm curious if I have mine not deep enough, or too deep - its growing fine for me either way. Currently just has the roots under soil, with the bulb above the substrate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Post a pic once you get it planted. I'm curious if I have mine not deep enough, or too deep - its growing fine for me either way. Currently just has the roots under soil, with the bulb above the substrate.

I sure will once I return from vacation, which will be next Sunday. I actually have it planted right now, with the roots only under the substrate like how your's is planted. My concern is that the bulb will become so big that it will scratch or possibly break the bottom of my tank.

Here you go. I think it is planted correctly. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405903549.153916.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405903569.791232.jpg

I ended up removing mine today. It had snaked half way across the tank and each strand was loaded with BBA. Same with my stauro repens. Corys kept digging up the stauro, the crinum was just looking hideously invasive. I needed the space anyway.

Looks good for you, tho!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ended up removing mine today. It had snaked half way across the tank and each strand was loaded with BBA. Same with my stauro repens. Corys kept digging up the stauro, the crinum was just looking hideously invasive. I needed the space anyway.

Looks good for you, tho!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BBA is my enemy right now too. It invaded my tank while I was on vacation. At least it is only on some Amazon Sword leaves and on a piece of driftwood at the moment. It looks like I'll have to reduce the photoperiod.

Could I add some more Eco-Complete with all of the fish in the tank? Would I have to not fertilize the tank for a couple of days since the Eco-Complete has fertilizer in it? Should I turn the filter off when I add it? I think I'll add some more substrate just to give the plants more room for root growth.

No the Eco complete fertilizer probably won't leech into the water column much.

So would it be a good idea to take the fish out, or does it not matter? I'm hoping to not move any plants if possible. I just want to shift them up a little.

I recently had only half my tank covered in Eco. So a few days ago I added Eco to the other half. Aside from a small nitrate spike nothing happened. You should be fine if you just do a water change after. Just leave them in like I did and they should be fine.

I recently had only half my tank covered in Eco. So a few days ago I added Eco to the other half. Aside from a small nitrate spike nothing happened. You should be fine if you just do a water change after. Just leave them in like I did and they should be fine.

Couldn't sound any easier. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom