Should I buy this LR? Or is it bad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i found a guy on CraigsList advertising he had to break down his Saltwater tank. I messaged him about the condition of the liverock and this is the exact email i got back from him:

The rock is already cured it ws in the tank for about 3 years but i had a bristle worm get in and kill a large coral which poisned the tank and killed everything. so the tank has a little water but it is mostely dry but the rock is still seeded. a frend took some of the rock and put it in his tank and in about three weeks the coraline algea and different little plants came back and it looks great. I will do a flat rate of $40 for the last 50lbs that i have.

So what do you think?

I'd throw it in a tub and check the parms after a few days.. Including Copper if you can get a test kit. If it all passes and it is still cured (which I doubt) then I'd scrub the out if it, re-soak and test again.. Only then would I consider putting it in an existing display

I'd throw it in a tub and check the parms after a few days.. Including Copper if you can get a test kit. If it all passes and it is still cured (which I doubt) then I'd scrub the out if it, re-soak and test again.. Only then would I consider putting it in an existing display

Well, my tank is currently cycling now. I just put in my LR like, two days ago so it wouldn't matter if i threw it into my tank now. Granted i'd have to clean it up a bit

If it's been in 'a few inches of water' and the water was stagnant who knows.. Maybe the die off has been keeping it going, maybe the lack of O2 in the stagnant water killed it off. Only way to tell is to test it alone which you've decided to bypass.

If it's been in 'a few inches of water' and the water was stagnant who knows.. Maybe the die off has been keeping it going, maybe the lack of O2 in the stagnant water killed it off. Only way to tell is to test it alone which you've decided to bypass.

I didnt decide to bypass it, was just explaining how I currently have a cycling tank. I should have worded it more in the form of a question such as: "is it ok to just clean it up and add it in to my currently cycling tank and continue to monitor the water". Thats what i really ment lol.

Well, my tank is currently cycling now. I just put in my LR like, two days ago so it wouldn't matter if i threw it into my tank now. Granted i'd have to clean it up a bit
if it has copper in it, you'll never keep inverts. it would be worth the time, and peace of mind, to soak it and test it first

if it has copper in it, you'll never keep inverts. it would be worth the time, and peace of mind, to soak it and test it first

Say it does have copper in it. After a few weeks of constant water changes, keeping it in a seperate container, will that go away it be safe for my display tank again? I just dont want to risk spending the $40 if it turns out to be nothing but base rock. Would rather go to my LFS and pick up some LR that i know will work. Granted it wont be nearly 50lb, but i mean at least it will be reliable

3 things.. I re-read your post..

1) If most of the rock is dry then it's certainly not live.
2) $40 for 50lbs of base rock is still a great deal
3) If it test for copper I'd throw it out

3 things.. I re-read your post..

1) If most of the rock is dry then it's certainly not live.
2) $40 for 50lbs of base rock is still a great deal
3) If it test for copper I'd throw it out

alright thanks a lot. Im just not going to bother. I have a 75gal aquarium right now with about 60lbs of base rock. So i have plenty of that. Only about 20lb of LR at the moment though. I dont think i'm gonna risk it

Your not anywhere near Philly are you? I'd snatch it in a heartbeat

haha nope, i live in florida. Now thinking about it I might take it and just save it. Been thinking of selling my cichlids out of my 55gal and redo it as a salt water. maybe Ill use that 50lbs as base rock.

So you'll have 2 sw tanks?

Yeah. I want(ed) to go to school to be a marine biologist. Beacuse the job market is so poor atm, and all they really want are researchers, i'm thinking about going into the medical field instead(MRI Tech). So fish have always been a HUGE hobby of mine. Im actually starting to plan out a very large salt water aquarium that I will be custom building in the future.

Back
Top Bottom