Should I euthanize or keep trying? :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshie In Disguise

Aquarium Advice Activist
Short version: I followed the advice of people online, and now my favorite fish, who has suffered from chronic fin rot for quite a while now, is almost dead. I want to know whether to euthanize him or keep trying to fix him, as he is now in very bad shape after suffering some sort of reaction to melafix. He will not even eat his favorite foods.

Well... Here is Juno's story so far.
He is a blue veil-tailed betta with entirely pink dalmation fins. Very pretty boy. One peculiar thing about him is that the rear end of his body is extremely strange. It hardly tapers into a tail at all. It's basicly square-shaped at the end rather than getting slimmer as it goes. From a distance you don't notice it, but if you really look at him, it's wierd. I was initially keeping him in a heavily planted 5g with an undergravel filter, but really wanted to add him to my 20gL, as that is what I set it up for in the first place. I put him in after the tank was well-cycled and he did well in there for about a month. Then, he began developing slightly twisty fins. I had never had an ill fish up until that point, so I had NO idea what it was. I posted here and was told it was the beginnings of fin rot and to use a mild salt treatment and keep the water super clean. I took Juno out of the 20g to perform the salt treatment, as I had several snails in the 20g aside from many sensitive plants and I did not want to salt them to death. I put him in a 1g hex and started the salt treatment for probably 2 weeks, which made the fin rot stop progressing, but didn't reduce it at all. I posted about it, and was told that keeping Juno in the 1g was cruel and that I had stressed him out by taking him out of the big tank, etc. I voiced my concerns about the other inhabitants of the tank, and I was told to just keep the water really clean, without the salt. I put Juno back into the 20g and began performing 50% PWCs twice daily, morning and evening. I even added a second (brand new) filter to the aquarium. Juno's fin rot got worse, and it was abundantly clear to me that the advice I was given was NOT working out to be in Juno's best interest. About 3 weeks later, my internet became extremely finicky and it was difficult for me to get online to ask for advice. I had already moved Juno back into his 1g and resumed the salt treatment, but his time in the 20g had taken a terrible toll on him. I made one post at night which I didn't get any response to, so I piggybacked on someone else's thread and tried treating him with melafix. I used it at half the recommended strength (because there was already some salt in the water) and Juno had some sort of reaction to it. I do not know exactly what happened, or if it was supposed to happen, but he tried to tell me. Five minutes after dosing his water, he jumped out of the 1g and into the rescue pan (shallow pan of water I had the hex sitting in) and I put him back in. I made dinner and came back, and he looked totally zombified. He was very bouyant and just sitting in the same position, staring into space, nomatter what I did, including poking him with the net. He was uninterested in food, which is an enourmous red flag for him. I gave it a while, and soon he sort of started floating cock-eyed... He was well beneath the water's surface, but towards the top, floating diagonally. He had no sense of up or down, and didn't attempt to change his position at all when I touched him with the net. I began slowly drip-acclimating him to completely fresh water, which is what he is in now. He is not as bad as he was, but he is still zombified and just completely out of it. He looks like those fish you see at walmart that just don't seem to have any sense of what is going on around them. It has been 24 hours since he got back into completely fresh water. He hasn't eaten a bite in two days, so I've stopped trying to feed him; just keeping his water totally clean. I replaced his substrate with some smooth gravel from a very healthy tank, as well as a small apogneton, and I scrubbed his betta leaf. He does not look good at all, and I just don't know whether to keep going or to put him out of it. He is a very special fish to me and I hate to let him go, but if he has brain damage or something (he is unable to eat, anyway) I'm not sure what the point is to letting him starve to death, if he is going to go that way. :(

Funny thing: I treated my other betta, Julius, with the same medication from the same bottle at the regular dosage (twice what Juno got), and he looks fantastic today. :confused:
I can upload pictures if it would help. He looks better at this moment than he did a while ago, but he seems to go in and out of it. I'm not worried about the fin rot at all right now... I'm worried about his brain. :(

Bacterial infections are hard to figure out and what med treatment to use normally when a fish is on its side at the top of the tank your better off to put it down. I don't know a lot about bettas but if you really want to keep trying use mardel maracyn 2, coppersafe or maracyn plus

Last edited:
I am sorry about your fish! If you would like to try & keep treating him Maracyn 2 or Maracyn Plus would be my suggestion. Do not combine the two meds nor add any type of copper treatment- you will be doing him more harm than good and it will be very difficult to ever completely remove it from your tank. Unfortunately, none of these meds will help with his zombified behavior- they are antibiotics that will only address a bacterial infection (such as fin rot). If he has an internal bacterial infection, they may help but they are limited in their effectiveness. Ultimately, it will be your decision to try & continue treatment or euthanize.

I am very sorry about your betta. You've been given some bad advise about the melafix. Some bettas can have a very bad reaction to it, as you have witnessed. If you do use melafix it's recommended to use 1/5 of the dosage for all labyrinth breathers or bettafix which is melafix but diluted to the correct dosage. I agree with Andy and jlk. Give maracyn 2 or maracyn plus a go. The next step from clean water and salt treatment is antibiotics.

:( He looks pretty crappy right now. I'm drip acclimating Julius back into a smaller tank with untreated water to avoid damaging him as well. :( Juno is still cock-eyed. Do you guys think he will live? Is this damage permanent? :(

I'm not sure I can get any type of Maracyn here but I will look everywhere tomorrow. I can get all sorts of medicated fizz tabs but I've never used them and I haven't a clue how they work. I will look hard.

I'm pretty bummed out. He looks like crap, and he is my favorite fish. :(

Whenever I have a fish do what your saying its normally to late for meds but I don't know about a Betta that's usually. At the top anyhow. All I can say is try it and if he gets better but still isn't all there then put it down. :(

Sorry to hear about your fish. You can always purchase meds online with next day delivery. I found antibiotics in my lfs. I've treated sick fish that looked horrible and fish that didn't look so bad. The worst lived and the other died immediately. Guess it depends. I always keep trying until they give up on their own. Just me:) Best of luck.

He looks a heck of alot better today. He is reacting to movement outside the tank, and he is much more alert. He is swimming better, but now he has his whole body curved into an S and it sort of just stays that way. Alot of his color came back too. Yesterday he looked a bit brown. Should I try to feed him something? I don't want to mess him up or make him sicker but he hasn't eaten in three days now. Atleast there is improvement. Julius looks just fine... He never seemed to have any sort of reaction at all!

Do you ever feed him bloodworms or brine shrimp? If this is something he is used to eating, I would offer him a bit & see what he does. 3 days of no eating is no a big deal- I wouldnt worry too much until you hit the 2-3 week mark. Good luck!

Yes, he loves both. Usually. I haven't tried anything live for two days, so I'm going to give it a shot now and see if he takes interest. I'm going to be pretty bummed out if he doesn't make it. He's by far the prettiest male I've ever had.

Well, he still won't eat, but he is acting more and more normal. He isn't all distorted anymore and he is MUCH more reactive to stuff around him. I think he's going to be alright. I'm going to reintroduce the salt this evening, if he is the same or better.

Don't worry about the feeding right now. Allow him time to get better then he'll want to eat on his own. Continue to monitor. I've nursed several fish back to health and others that didn't make it. Usually when they're not going to make it, they die quickly. If he has life now...there's hope.

I stopped everything when he got sick, but I'm going to continue the salt treatment. I can't get into town today as we got 5" of snow this morning and it is now 3" of frozen slush; I just put my summer tires back on and I'd rather wait until tomorrow than risk it.

Back
Top Bottom