Should I get it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/for/3096685144.html

A 47 gallon tank with stand for $75. And it is in Slidell where my mom could pick it up for me. I'm thinking of upgrading my 20 gallon tropical tank, and a 47 sounds wonderful. It's a nice tall tank, too, and it could fit where my 20 is now. I would have to buy new equipment for it but that's not really a big deal, I have some extras lying around that could work in the meantime. Do you think it's a good deal, or should I pass on it?

Edit: plugged the dimensions into a calculator, looks like it is 58 gallons!

Well, the boyfriend thinks it is a good idea, so at least I'm clear on that front. What do y'all think?

Its a good deal IMO. In my area, those are worth over $100 on craigslist.

Terrance said:
Its a good deal IMO. In my area, those are worth over $100 on craigslist.

In my area it seems you can't find a 10 gallon on CL for under $100, especially with a stand. Just wanted to put it out there and get some input. But now that the boyfriend agrees that it's a good idea, I'm going to call them tomorrow and try to get it set up for my mom to go pick it up. Good thing she has a SUV. I doubt I could fit that tank in my car.

Looks like it will only be another $45 or so for the equipment I'll need for it.

View attachment 103012

View attachment 103013

View attachment 103014

There it is! I put a solo cup in it to kind of show scale. I'm really happy with it, although it is pretty deep. Going to have a little trouble reaching the bottom.

What made me even happier was the stop at petsmart after we got it. Same tank, same stand, $300 normally, on sale for $250. I paid $75 for the tank, stand, light and glass top, plus $3 for a nice air pump, $2 for a magfloat, $2 for a 100 watt heater, and I got a mediocre filter for free!

Spent a few hours going at it with white vinegar and a razor blade. Looks mostly clean now! Now to decide to paint or not to paint.

Magikalgirl79 said:
Oh an I have a painted tank and one with a background. In my opinion the background looks MUCH nicer!

Well, this is my general idea of a "painted" tank...

View attachment 103048

Excuse the diatom bloom, I just added more sand to that tank.

Ok my 20g is just painted black on 3 sides, nothing with a design to it. I bought it used that way. But it's so dark! And I think of oceans being bright and sunny! Lol I have 6 different fish that eat every kind of algae because I like it by the window haha! My 10 g has a pet store bought background and I just love it. I just bought a 29g(I think lol) to replace my 20g because I hate the black so much and want to give my fish more room :)

I know I'm not doing black, I want black angelfish so they wouldn't show up.

I have an angelfish, they told me they are hard to keep but I haven't had any problems. And they are interesting to watch too, kind of have their own personality lol

From the same poster? It looked real nice, the stand was handmade. The people selling it were real nice, let me look through some of their extra equipment and decor, which they were selling dirt cheap. Call them!

Alyxx said:
From the same poster? It looked real nice, the stand was handmade. The people selling it were real nice, let me look through some of their extra equipment and decor, which they were selling dirt cheap. Call them!

I want to soo bad. I probably will.

For anyone interested,I have posted a thread in the DIY section showing the progress of the background I am painting on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom