Should I go dirted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I'm in the midst of setting up a 10 gallon betta tank. Originally the betta was supposed to be here tomorrow, but there was a mix up and the fish I bought was already sold and there is no fish to be sent to me. So it will be a while before I get a fish in the tank. I have some white sand coming into the LFS for it tomorrow, and since there isn't such a rush to get everything in now, I'm thinking about doing a dirted tank since I do want some plants in there. The thing is, I've never done a dirted tank before and I'm really not sure where to start. What kind of potting soil do I need? How thick should the soil layer be? I have some soil but I'm not sure if it will work. I'll take a picture of the bag tomorrow when there is light outside. Or should I just pick up some floramax when I get my sand tomorrow?

So, I'm in the midst of setting up a 10 gallon betta tank. Originally the betta was supposed to be here tomorrow, but there was a mix up and the fish I bought was already sold and there is no fish to be sent to me. So it will be a while before I get a fish in the tank. I have some white sand coming into the LFS for it tomorrow, and since there isn't such a rush to get everything in now, I'm thinking about doing a dirted tank since I do want some plants in there. The thing is, I've never done a dirted tank before and I'm really not sure where to start. What kind of potting soil do I need? How thick should the soil layer be? I have some soil but I'm not sure if it will work. I'll take a picture of the bag tomorrow when there is light outside. Or should I just pick up some floramax when I get my sand tomorrow?

It takes at least 3 weeks for a dirted tank to cycle. It goes through a very natural and fishless cycle and once the ammonia falls to 0, it's ready for fish.

Back
Top Bottom