Should I put my puffer out of his misery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

contactpsb

Aquarium Advice Regular
My poor dogface puffer has been sick for about 3 weeks. Not sure what it is, have been following the local aquarium store's advice but he is just wasting away, hasn't eaten in probably 2 weeks. He has these white pimple like bumps all over his back. They said it was stress related, not a parasite or disease, and at the time we found out that the salt level in the water we got from the store was way to high so we attributed it to that. But after lots of water changes and getting all the water parameters back to normal there has been zero improvement.

He's the only thing in the tank because he's been in our 55gal "hospital" tank for about 8 months since we had velvet and lost all his tankmates, we just never bothered moving him back into the 150gal. All he does is lay on the bottom snuggled up to the filter intake (sucked to it is more like it) and if we stir him loose he drifts aimlessly and bumps into the glass like he can't control his movements. Doesn't even notice food, even when he is face to face with it. I just can't stand to see him in so much misery, he is wasting away and stomach is all colapsed. I just wonder is there something I can do, or a way to put him out of his misery? I'd rather lose him then see him like this another day.

Sorry to hear about your puffer. :cry:
This could be stress related and maybe caused by a drastic change in salinity from one side to the other. You did say the salt water level was too high from the LFS? So, how high was it in your tank? Most importantly, if it was very high and you adjusted the salinity back down to an acceptable level too quickly, this would surely stress him out or possibly put him in shock.

IMHO the best way to put him out of his misery is to place him in a bag half full of water from the tank. Use one of those bags from the LFS if you got one, and seal it up just like they do. Then place him in the freezer. As he starts to become cold, he will fall asleep, and then drift off into unconsciousness.

I have had to do this a couple of times and it is hard to lose a loved one like this. But it's for the better. If he's not eating, just drifting if you move him, then help him along. You will both feel better. :fadein:

Why don't you try and acclimate him back to the main tank? You may see a drastic improvement with the improved water quality and added real estate.
If he is disease free, it may be worth a try.

If he has bumps on his back it sounds like possibly a lymph gland infection. The best thing for these is to scrape them off with a nail as soon as they appear. Though it sounds like he is progressed pass that. If he is not eating then that means that he is miserable. If you absolutely don't want to give up the fight then try adding Fish Soution to the tank. It is a concentrate of naturally occuring minerals and trace elements that occur in the ocean. I would suggest a vitamin supplement too, but if he is not eating then I guess that would be redundant. I agree with the others feezing is the most humane way. Make sure you double bag him and leave very little air in the bag. I am sorry about your puffer, but sometimes they are better off in another place.

i would give him some time, try a fresh water bath, then acclimate him to your main tank. I had a fish that I was convinced was dying for about 3 wks. He somehow pulled through however, I did not do anything but give him time. If you do give up on him the freezer is the way to go. I remember when my first couple of fish died it was really difficult but it gets easier with time.

Back
Top Bottom