should i remove plants from pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,
I just added 2 live plants to my 30L tank which I am busy cycling. They are both low light plants as they were thriving in the petshop with almost no light, but they both came in little pots. I have gravel in my tank, smaller than pea sized I would say. Can I plant them directly in the gravel or do I leave them in the pots. To be honest Im not sure what kind they are and also sure the petshop didn't know either.

Also, if I wanted to add a few smooth rocks for decoration, what would I need to do prior to putting it in? As far as decorations go I only have a piece of driftwood and the two plants. The decorations at the petshops are ridiculously expensive. Any creative cheaper ideas?

Hi All,
I just added 2 live plants to my 30L tank which I am busy cycling. They are both low light plants as they were thriving in the petshop with almost no light, but they both came in little pots. I have gravel in my tank, smaller than pea sized I would say. Can I plant them directly in the gravel or do I leave them in the pots. To be honest Im not sure what kind they are and also sure the petshop didn't know either.

Also, if I wanted to add a few smooth rocks for decoration, what would I need to do prior to putting it in? As far as decorations go I only have a piece of driftwood and the two plants. The decorations at the petshops are ridiculously expensive. Any creative cheaper ideas?
What plant? usually yes, you just pull it out then u scrape off all the spongey stuff thhey have in there,

Pictures will help us identify them and tell you how to care for them. Chances are the plants weren't thriving in next to no light, they probably just got them in. But yes take them out of the pots.

I like to use peroxide to sterilize new materials going into a tank. If it comes from outside though i like to use bleach. Soak for about 10 minutes in bleach water and then rinse really well and rinse with dechlor and set out in the sun to air dry. If using bleach I always wait 24 hours before it goes in the tank. Bleach kills everything. Peroxide does a decent job but some spores are resistant so that's why I use bleach on things that come from outside.

IMG-20131211-WA003.jpg

IMG-20131211-WA001.jpg

These are the plants. I have since taken them out of the pots and planted them direcly in my coarse gravel. Is that ok? Can you identify these plants? The big one seems to be struggling a little bit, losing some leaves but the boy at the pet store didn't do a very good job at packaging the plant so I think it got a bit bruised.

They also suggested I add seachem replenish for the plants, is that necessary?

I'm only guessing but the first looks like he emmersed form of wisteria. Which is hygrophila difformis... a very fast growing stem plant.

The second appears to be mondo grass which is not a true aquatic plant and may start to rot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom