Should it take this long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2cct

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my tank on May 5 and added fish (2 platys and a molly) five days later... (that’s what the fish store recommended but later I realized I should have cycled the tank first.)

SO, I’ve been trying to cycle the tank with MINIMAL damage and harm to the fish. This has meant many PWCs in order to keep the ammonia as low as possible.

My understanding was that total cycling could take up to six weeks but it’s been five and nothing has changed but the ammonia.

There has been NO change in Nitrate or Nitrite levels at all... Is it normal for it to take this long?

Is it because I am keeping the ammonia so low?

first of all, what size tank are we dealing with? is it planted? i'm pretty sure if you have a planted tank you may never even see a cycle adding fish sparingly, someone back me up there... if you're dealing with a larger tank, say 29gal +, at 5 weeks you may have the biofilter in place for those three fish. however, you could run into an ammonia spike when adding more because your biofilter is only capable of handling those three fish right now. are you still getting ammonia readings when you test? post your test results from the last couple tests and that will help someone determine where in your cycle you are.

It is 20 g and it is not planted.

Temp 78 degrees.
pH around 7.4
Last night’s ammonia tested at .50 and I did a 50% PWC.
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Did not test the night before because I forgot.

ummm... yeah... you're probably still in the beginning stages of the cycle. :( don't worry though. if you can, i would maybe take those fish out and fishless cycle it as that will be way quicker. if not, just keep doing what you're doing and you should see nitrites and nitrates soon. remember it can take a lot longer with fish thatn without, so just be patient! there's conflicting info out there on temp and cycling too, some say a higher temp (80-81) can get those bacteria growing quicker, some say it doesn't matter. i say, if it won't hurt give it a shot.

TwoHobbies said:
Make sure and use something like prime at water changes

I've been using Stress Coat (because that's what I already have) but was told to buy Prime when I run out... which will be soon.

Your cycle is going to take longer because you are keeping ammonia at such a low level. The nitrite can't really get established because they don't have a whole lot to feed on. You are doing the right thing though, and your fish thank you for it. Overtime you will see that nitrite come up and fall and you will be done. It just takes long when you slow down the process, but being that you have fish you kinda have to

also, if your filter uses a cartridge...don't replace it! that cartridge has most of your beneficial bacteria on it in a new tank, and replacing it instead of cleaning it will just reset your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom