Show me your breeding tank for shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrimpandram

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys! I just started my 20 gallon( planted tank with rcs breeding tank. The tank is recycled for a month and i have about 7 rcs. If you guys have any information on how to breed rcs fast and keep them healthy, please comment on this thread.
Several questions...
1. What are some plants that rcs like.
2. How come my shrimp doesn't eat my shrimp food? ( currently feeding sample shrimp food and MK-BREED "Cheeseburger".
3. I have otto as my ground fish is it safe for my rcs?
4. What do you feed for adult shrimp and baby shrimp?

Also I will be happy to see your shrimp tank :)
Have a nice day~

Ottos are about the only shrimplet friendly fish you can find. The shrimp will start to breed when they are feeling safe And secure. We had a 5.5 with some blues that didn't breed for months. At the time it was in a high traffic area. We moved it to the bedroom and after a month we found babies. Stability is key so be sure to keep water params steady. Our shrimp like any plant that they can hang on and graze biofilm from. The adults get random feed. Sometimes s&c shrimp pellets, sometimes algae wafers, and once in a blue moon some blanched fresh veggies. Give them lots of hiding spots, keep water quality stable and make them feel safe and you'll be looking at babies in no time.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you so much for the reply. BTW how can I remove hair algae on my mosses? I just bought a algaefix made by API and it says not to use it on shrimps. So is there is any way to get ride of hair algaes? I have led light and c02. ( working on my baby tear )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To lose hair algae, you have to manually remove it and then just turn your light a lot and don't feed as much. Those are the 2 main factors that cause algae. Is the tank near a window?

I use an old toothbrush to remove hair algae from moss. I lightly pass over the moss and sometimes "comb" it and it does a good job snagging the threads. Yes, some stray moss will be pulled out doing thing.
I can't tell if the hair algae came from some new moss or from a few nano marimo moss balls I added a few months back.
No CO2. A Finnex 24/7 LED running in 24/7 mode. It's in a bedroom so it's really an expensive night light. Prior to this I had a dual T5 normal output fixture which was followed by a Finnex FugeRay. The former was low light and the latter might have been a bit much (red algae started to "bleach").
Shrimp were breeding in this tank before I did a total rescape. Been in there for over a month and no breeding so far. Shrimp are active, colorful, and are feeding. Just have not seen any berried females or babies.
nZTwvlFh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

OK. And no my tank doesn't get any sun lights.
Thanks for you helping me out.

How am I gonna make a carpet of baby tears if i don't turn c02 on? Will my shrimps get stressed if I turn the lights on fot 24 hours?
Thanks for helping me out.

How am I gonna make a carpet of baby tears if i don't turn c02 on? Will my shrimps get stressed if I turn the lights on fot 24 hours?
Thanks for helping me out.

I think my post has caused some confusion...
You can use CO2. I was just stating that in my tank I don't use any. Moss are fine without it. Yes, you will need CO2 for healthy DBT.
Why would you run the lights for 24 hours? You will run into algae issues. The Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED light fixture has a special mode called "24/7". While in this mode, the light will cycle through various levels of intensity ranging from very bright to nearly pitch black. It is supposed to simulate the day/night light cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom