Shrimp disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 6 Yamato shrimp in my tank now there appears to be none. I put them in about 3 months ago and there was always one or two visible amongst the plants or moss. The others I assumed where hiding in one of the caves or the plants. They would always come out at feeding time though. Then about three weeks ago they all disappeared over night. I haven't found them on the floor or behind the cabinet. I have had a little poke about to see if they are hiding, then I found one skin 2 weeks ago. I do have a couple of tiger bard and some Pakistani loach but the shrimp have always stood up to them. Can anyone explain?

I have an internal filter and there is no way for them to get inside. They were all big shrimp about 3cm.

It could be hiding really well in your tank.

Back when I was switching around my tank I swapped my plastic driftwood for the real deal. I was missing one of my amano shrimp and had a feeling he was somewhere on the plastic decoration. Both my wife and I spent about 15 mins looking all over that thing and didn't see it. I ended up putting the fake one in a tub of water and a couple hours later he was swimming around in there.

Tiger barbs will eat them. Even if they are too big for their mouth they will tear them into pieces. Vicious creatures! Sorry about your loss. :(

Sounds funny but I had a bamboo shrimp and couldn't find him for about 2 months I thought he was hiding but after a little while I emptied the tank and he was not there. I was very confused then about a month later I cleaned my room and he was dead on the floor he jumped out I guess when I left the hood open!!!

The tiger barbs would be my first guess. Especially after the shrimp molts.

Back
Top Bottom