Shrimp help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okapizebra

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted to know what shrimp I could get in my ten gallon tank.

Currently the only inhabitants I have are two platys.

I was planning on getting about six or so ghost shrimp, but then read quite a bit of information on here that they will eat platys?? In this case, I do not want to get any ghost shrimp.

So I was looking for some compatible shrimp for my tank.

The tank is heated and stays between 78-80 always. I have black petco sand as my substrate. I have two 10 watt fluorescent bulbs. I have some caves and fake plants plus a java fern. I definitely plan on adding some new plants as well (plant suggestions?) And my filter is the 10-20 aqueon quite flow power filter (which definitely is NOT quiet -rant-)

So any suggestions? Open to all! Thanks for reading!

Also, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a carpet plant that could work in my tank? I'd prefer not to do ferts or CO2.

I don't really know where you got information that shrimp will eat platy's. If anything the platy's may eat the shrimp but only if they are baby shrimp. full grown ghost shrimp are too large for platy's to eat.

That's very interesting. I have two ghost shrimp from petsmart and the two look very different but they are in their own tank right now. From what i've read it seems that there are many different species of ghost shrimp. I really think you would be fine though. it seems more to me that this was a rare case. I have red cherry shrimp with my platys and they don't even notice each other. Also my red cherry shrimp recently had babies. I was worried that my platys would eat the babies but that didn't happen either.

unless your platys are sick the ghost shrimp should leave them also. Ghost shrimp are scavengers and will eat left over food on the bottom of the tank.

I have 2 Ghost Shrimp in my 29 Gal with a school of Neon Tetras and a school of Zebra Danios. They have been in there for about a week and so far there has been no aggression from the shrimp. Infact they completely ignore eachother. They did eat one dead Neon the other day that I left in there for about 2 hrs to see if they would take care of it, and they did. Well most of it, I still had to clean the rest out after they were full. If I had a few more Ghost Shrimp in there it would have all been gone.

Back
Top Bottom