shrimp in community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
30gallon long with 7neons, 5 rummynose, 2 het. rasboras, 4 danios, 3 otocinclus and 4 cory cats. (two aquaclear 50's on the tank pulling through reusable sponges).

I've intended to increase the rasporas to 4 or 5 total, but the lfs hasn't had them when I've visited.

they have had ghost and cherry shrimp and the brief search I went on indicates that they are common in community tanks.

1) How does one account for shrimp in the bioload?
2) How 'planted' does a tank need to be (minimum)?
3) Is shrimp company encouraged/required? If yes, a minimum count in a 30 long?

I don't count their bioload, it's so small it's not really relevant IMO. They like to be able to hide and graze, mosses are their favority. I've seen them kept in not-so-heavily planted tanks without issues. I'd start off with 10 or 20 maybe. If you get RCS, they will breed and your population will go way up, though, which isn't a problem. I keep mine in a 20H, and at one point probably had 150 or more at least in there.

for most part people count it 10-15 per gallon. if you have a 10 gal alone 100-150 would be fine some people shoot for higher numbers. to get back to your question with the other fish they will keep the numbers in check so there not really much to worry about. there is no min for plants. you can have no plants in the tank. plants just help keep the water clean place for them to hide. if you want them to breed more people get 6-10. really doesnt matter how many or few you have.

Ghosts need brackish water to reproduce right though?

I have 3 Ghost shrimp in my 8gal for algae-munching duties- they're cool little buggers. Wouldn't trust anything much smaller with my Betta around though.

maybe. there are many different shrimp sold under the trade name ghost shrimp. some need bw some need fw.

FWIW, I have 3 Amano shrimp in my community tank. No real plants... only plastic. They seem very happy and healthy, and no one bothers them.

The reason I chose amanos was specifically because they can only raise their fry in brackish... I really wanted to make sure their population would stay in check.

Back
Top Bottom