Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. Its been a looooonnngggg time since I've had an aquarium but recently I've been getting that itch again. I want to do a shrimp tank with one species of neo and some tigers. Which kind? We'll see what the availability is of things in my new city.

I want it to be planted but with slow/medium growing plants. I've been thinking Java fern, some crypts, maybe an anubias, and some mosses. I want to setup CO2 and have fairly high light to get the moss and ferns to grow fast.

What kind of light and CO2 setup would work best for a 10 gallon?

Shrimp tanks are easily kept and moss and other plants grown (though not fast) without high tech accesories. Less maintenance. But the high tech is cool.

What is your tap water pH. Shrimp generally do not do well in brand / new(ly) set up tanks. You should consider if you want to do RO/DI water set up and do adjusting of your mineral content for certain kinds of shrimp. Often the parameters for the Neos and the Caridina are not exactly the same. So keep an eye out for the needs for each kind, like temps and PH. Also GH/KH can have a important role in shrimp keeping.

Shrimp tanks are easily kept and moss and other plants grown (though not fast) without high tech accesories. Less maintenance. But the high tech is cool.

What is your tap water pH. Shrimp generally do not do well in brand / new(ly) set up tanks. You should consider if you want to do RO/DI water set up and do adjusting of your mineral content for certain kinds of shrimp. Often the parameters for the Neos and the Caridina are not exactly the same. So keep an eye out for the needs for each kind, like temps and PH. Also GH/KH can have a important role in shrimp keeping.

I will be moving to a new city in the next week or two and that's when I'll be setting this up. Depending on the pH where I'll be at, I'll decide on what will work best.

I've kept low maintenance tanks before and loved them, but I want to try a higher tech setup this time. Now that money allows lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will be moving to a new city in the next week or two and that's when I'll be setting this up. Depending on the pH where I'll be at, I'll decide on what will work best.

I've kept low maintenance tanks before and loved them, but I want to try a higher tech setup this time. Now that money allows lol

A lot is made of the water parameters when considering shrimp. And while it is important I believe that sourcing local tank bred shrimp is equally as important.

Back
Top Bottom