Shrimp with plants and beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I hope it's ok to ask this in this particular thread. But I have a 10 gallon, nicely planted 10G tank, with 1 beta in it. Can i house some shrimps in there with my plants and beta? I know Betas are carnivorous and I do not wish to buy shrimp only to see them get eaten. If I can house shrimp, what kind can I/should I get?

most the time, it wouldnt be too safe to house small shrimp with bettas. But, If you can get some really large ghost shrimp, go for it. I would recommend the bamboo shrimp, but, it needs currents.

Amano shrimp, aka "whisker" or "algae" shrimp, rilli shrimp, bamboo/ Singapore flower shrimp... Also another fun betta friendly crustacean is the fiddler crab.... "Watermelon" fiddlers are a cool looking combination of red and purple.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Amano shrimp, aka "whisker" or "algae" shrimp, rilli shrimp, bamboo/ Singapore flower shrimp... Also another fun betta friendly crustacean is the fiddler crab.... "Watermelon" fiddlers are a cool looking combination of red and purple.

I dont know too much about shrimp haha.
Don't fiddlers need a stretch of land??

I dont know too much about shrimp haha.
Don't fiddlers need a stretch of land??

I have heard the same thing about fiddlers, but I have found that, much like almost all aquatic air breathers, that just a small gap and a small floating log (WITH A TIGHT FITTING SCREEN COVER) usually works better than any terrarium set up I've owned.... Red claw crabs, on the other hand, need a little more land intensity.... This is just from my own observations.

My 10 gallon tank housed Toro (my female betta) with 5 Rasboras, 6 neon tetras, 6 Amano and 1 ghost shrimp (one died)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412095824.463797.jpg

They were playing pretty well with each other and I had no issues. But that was my personal experience. Sometimes it depends on the Betta but I think a 10g tank is ample space for a betta and shrimps (just make sure that they are of sufficient size so that they won't end up as fish food )

I have heard the same thing about fiddlers, but I have found that, much like almost all aquatic air breathers, that just a small gap and a small floating log (WITH A TIGHT FITTING SCREEN COVER) usually works better than any terrarium set up I've owned.... Red claw crabs, on the other hand, need a little more land intensity.... This is just from my own observations.

Oh ill try that. Ive had fiddlers and red claweds but ive never thought of trying that.

If the tanks heavily planted you could do rcs. The betta might eat a few but they reproduce so quickly you wont even notice any missing. I kept rcs with a fully grown 3 year old betta a couple years ago and had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh ill try that. Ive had fiddlers and red claweds but ive never thought of trying that.

I highly recommend it, they are hilarious to watch as they bumble around, especially when the males start the courtship dance and fall off the log or clamber upside down on the screen cover

Wow, looks like I have many options! I'll look into those and see what I can get. Thanks, all of you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom