Siamese Flying Fox?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyRaven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys and gals!

I was at PetSmart earlier and they had just got a shipment of "Siamese Flying Foxes" in. They're so new to them, that they didn't even have an information printout for them yet.

I was very excited, and bought 3, but when I got home I read that they hate each other and should be kept single.

However, when I googled what they look like, these guys look like Siamese Algae Eaters to me. Not that I mind, because that means I don't have to try take 2 back.

Could you guys help me identify them for sure?

Thanks!

img_3227753_0_2bb273a70568dff9be4312741979a361.jpg
img_3227753_1_f84b196abc1050bd755466536ab15945.jpg
img_3227753_2_739c73ea07b5372df54e5bf3a4e3245e.jpg

How many pairs of pairs of barbels are on the mouth? If there is one pair then I would say Siamese Algae Eater. If'n there are two pairs then you have a Flying Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many pairs of pairs of barbels are on the mouth? If there is one pair then I would say Siamese Algae Eater. If'n there are two pairs then you have a Flying Fox.

I think the name applies to both. The one with two barbels is a false flying fox/Siamese algae eater.

But since the black band goes into the fork of the tail and there's no light stripe above the black it looks like the real deal Siamese algae eater.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There is a difference. But because of all of the confusion the names are used synchronously. The link threnjen provided describes the differences.

Back
Top Bottom