Sick Albino Corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironanimal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I've noticed that my two albino corys have been very lazy. They'll lay at the bottom of the tank doing nothing for a long time. I did some research and found that it's normal behavior. But then yesterday I found one of them laying on its back, not moving at all. I thought it had died, so I went to get it out and it spooked and started swimming all over. I'm concerned that it's sick, because I've caught him laying on his back three other times after last night's incident.
I don't have a water testing kit yet - it was only a few days ago that I realized the importance of them, so I'm going to get the API Master Test Kit very soon. I did cycle my aquarium before I added the corys - and I have an internal power filter running and a heater set at 80 degrees.
Should I add some medication to the water in case they're sick? I don't know if I'm supposed to put the medication directly in the tank or treat my quarantine tank with medication and move the fish there. I do not have any other fish in the tank yet.
I attached a somewhat bad picture so you can see what he does a lot.

Here's the photo.

Attachments

• image-406293282.jpg
    image-406293282.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 52
It's very likely a water quality issue, but no way to know for certain without knowing your parameters. For the time being I would do a 50% water change daily. Make sure you get a kit as soon as possible.

That is also a fairly high temp for cories. They prefer it cooler than that, though of course it depends on other fish you keep too. I keep them, along with other cooler water species like danios, kuhli loaches and Panda garras, between 70 and 74.. and lately even colder than that, due to landlord issues and lack of heat in the building.

I think you may find lowering temps will improve their activity level. Mine are all over all the time.

Bronze (albino) cories do fine up to about 84 degrees, so I wouldn't suspect the temp to be an issue unless they came from a much cooler tank and weren't properly acclimated.

Back
Top Bottom